Locked area SW of Lakeview Tavern

Southwest of Lakeview Tavern, in Act II, there are a lot of ghosts. Taking a path directly South of the nearest resurrection stone, you come to a ghost guard who tells you "You need permission from the baron" to pass the gate. I haven't found anything in the wiki other than that you cannot pass because "The baron is long dead". There looks to be a whole town beyond it, with a merchant icon. Maybe there is another way in but I haven't found it. There looks to be a path parallel to the river running NE that leads to Lakeview Tavern but I can't seem to find that either, I just end up following the river until it's blocked. Pretty good sized area back there that is clearly populated with something! I tried looking at the online map but I couldn't locate Lakeview Tavern even though I was pretty certain I was looking in the right place. 

Also could not find the icon key for the online map, only the in-game one, on the wiki even though it says I should see both.

EDIT: I figured it out. This game is great but has some major flaws. The quest tracker is one of them. Often my objectives vanish from the map, and/or the next step in the quest doesn't show up in the log. Sacred II doesn't know how to recover from a crash, in particular. And of course, there is the pathing...God, it's so bad. Still, I play every damn day.

Edited by Hal900x
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Androdion said:

That ghost town refers to the Evocator boss quest. It's a long quest that you start at Artamark's Gate and that leads you through that whole area, check the path of the quest in red on the boss map: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Map_of_Ancaria

Just finished it. The ghost NPC gave me some diaries, but I didn't pick them up before the town transitioned to daytime. What are they?

Can't remember, but they're probably books similar to the ones you get from investigating the signs of the Guardians in Bluestonebury (or whatever the spelling is). It's a quest you get in Seraphim Island when you first arrive at Mr. Giles, there's an NPC that when you turn back suddenly gets a question mark and gives you that side quest on the Human region. It's just lore books, fun stuff to read I guess.