Engadget - PwnageTool 2.0.2 ready "in next few hours," jailbreakers prepare your engines

FdmNews

is_jailbreakiPhone-720-50003159-20080723_145123-320x240.jpg

It's not the iPhone 3G unlock yet, but at least those of you who held-off from updating your iPhone to the 2.0.1 firmware are about to get a taste of improved stability and snappy keyboarding while early updaters will once again gain access to their jailbroken apps. Or so says the DevTeam who claim that PwnageTool 2.0.2 is "undergoing final checks and will be packaged, signed and should be uploaded within the next few hours, so count on it being released sometime on Thursday." The update will be provided via a direct link (which we'll pass along) and over the PwnageTool's software updater. So block out some time in your calendars, there's plenty of newbie hackery to be done later on today.

View the full article

I was thinking about the same thing. Apple's stance on outside wares for their product at this point must be almost senseless considering that there are already hundreds if not thousands of apps already available for use on both itouch and iphone. The fact that the company wanted to control what others are doing with their bought product is a bit weird...sort of like a computer maker trying to tell me what to run on something I bought. The concept of "firmware" is even sort of sketchy in my mind. Oh what, only one company is allowed to make stuff that's official? Third party development is key, and has always been the cornerstone of success for products like this. Of course, companies don't just want the purchase to end anymore with simply that first purchase...it seems like everything these days comes with a subscription to some sort of support plan or a yoke to only their produced products.

:)

gogo