I still don't understand how many runes I should memorize

1. I understand if you memorize too many runes, it'll increase the regeneration time/cooldown, but is that only for that particular combat art, for the combat arts in that tree, or ALL combat arts?

2. Is lore or focus more important? If you select the skills "lore" and "focus" for all three trees, you will have selected nine skills total. You'll be lacking in offensive, defensive, and general skills, obviously. I'm a shadow warrior and have points into astral lord lore, astral lord focus, and a focus skill into one of the other trees.

3. I think focus or lore allows you to have a higher level for combat arts without penalties. If you exceed the level and get penalties, does this effect JUST that combat art, or all of them?

4. Say the highest level combat art I can have without a penalty is like 20. Does that mean, I should ABSOLUTELY raise the five combat arts in that tree to all level 20, since that is the highest level I can have without penalties?

I am new too but I can help with some of that.

1. Level up CA with rune will only affect that particular CA, it won't do anything to your other CAs directly. You can check what (the next) level up will do by highlighting the CA you want, generally its +damage but also +recharge.

2. Generally speaking, lore increase damage, focus decrease recharge, take your pick. If you want to use that tree then take both, if you don't want to take neither.

3. I think penalty just means you won't level up your CA per level per rune/+skill, rather they go 0.5 levels and such. So say if the max it allows you is 10 level, and you eat 30 runes, you will only get like 15 levels as opposed to 30 levels. It is individual CA based, not group based.

4. You can, although I image your CA will have sky high recharge if you do that. I think the general rules is set a "optimal recharge time" for the CAs you want to use. Power up (+dmg / - recharge) those CAs with skill points you get from level up via trees (focus/lore). Only eat runes to level up each individual CA when it falls below your "optimal recharge time", since each rune will increase its recharge time.

Edited by thinkingofaname

1. If CA is a buff then it will affect regens of all 3 Aspect Combat Arts

2. Only take 1 (or 2) Aspects...and concentrate on that...trying to take all 3 Aspects will spread out your points to where you won't be very effective at anything.

4. Even though in your example you could raise all the CA lvls to 20...there are a couple reasons you shouldn't. You'll find your regeneration far exceeds the CA duration and you'll find you won't find enough runes to maintain all the lvls

Special Shadow Warrior FYI:

In terms of unlocking mods for Combat Arts, the Shadow Warrior (uniquely) unlocks mods for both Malevolent Champion and Death Warrior through Tactics Lore, giving twice the mod points for the same skill point investment. Your regen time will suffer, but for an Astral Warrior who is looking to mod Guidon, Reflection (for Idol), Rousing Command (for Leader), and some melee skill (Demonic Blow or Sweep) it's a pretty good deal.

Edited by BlindPetey