Shopping for new LCD TV

I would like anyone who has in-depth knowledge of LCD tv's or actually owns one and is satisfied/dissatisfied to give their opinion about my following choice:

Sony 40" 1080p 120hz Z series

KDL40Z4100

Presently on special @ Best Buy for $1399.99

Please don't be shy to share your opinion, reviews, and any other suggestions.

Well I have been looking for a Full HD 40" LCD tv for myself, but I don't know if they are selling same products (or maybe they do, but whit different name codes) here, so can't help that much. As the best series in here are W and X series and we don't even have Z series.

Only thing what is certain, if this is your first LCD tv, don't get upset if all the tv programs looks worse than whit normal "old tech" tv's.

Just thinking as that Tv sounds to me really expensive, I would recomend to take a look of Pioneers Tv's if there is still some to buy (as they stoped making them because the times are "bad" in all over the world so they had to cut back on something and as it's not theyr main business it was the first thing that had to go).. but they have won lot of rewards. And I consider them best tv's money can buy, but as I cannot afford Pioneer.. I'm mostly looking for Sony's and Samsung's.. both have leading technology. Allso heard lot of good about panasonic.. mostly about theyr plasma tv's, but also theyr LCD's.

have you tried neweeg.com? I go there for most of my electronics,great prices,great customer service,lots of feedback on stuff by people who buy things there.my only worry would be getting a tv shipped that way :pitcher:

Pioneer is too expensive, I would like a samsung but the ones im looking for are more expensive than the sony.

Rule of thumb: If you havent got anything interesting or constructive to add to a thread..... dont post thanx Jrmoore2

• 2 months later...

Old thread, but I figured I'd reply anyways....

Sony LCD's are really nice, specifically their Bravia line. I own a 40 inch, love it. Use it primarily for console gaming. I don't think I can go back to standard definition now...

Are you using this TV for gaming on a console or for hooking up to a PC? If it's for a console, you actually can get away with 720P just fine, as that's the resolution that the vast majority of games (ie 90+ %) are developed for. Anything higher than that involves hardware/software scaling and can actually wind up making your image on screen look noticeably worse. Just an FYI. Going for the lower resolution should save you a few hundred dollars, if budget is a concern.

If you're playing on a PC, obviously go for broke... the PC can handle it all day. :) Good luck with your TV.

Edited by Scrappy McSlap