Question about Purifying Chastisement

deathmaster35

First I would just like to say thank you to the members of Dark Matters for the Wiki, it has been very helpful for learning this game. Thank you all for your hard work making it.

Second, I just have a question about higher end gear for as it concerns the mods for Purifying Chastisement. I have only just gotten to Gold so I have no experience in the higher levels of the game and as to what to expect from equipment. At lower levels I see it is much easier to find +damage gear than +damage mitigation gear, so I am wondering if it high levels if it will be easier to compensate for the missing +damage from not taking Hallow or will it be easier to get the missing +damage mitigation from not taking Inure?

I took inure with my current character, but I noticed that hallow is add a much higher modifier to damage than inure adds to damage mitigation.

Any info or suggestions would be helpful :sweating:

With 1 pt in inure you get 10 mitigation and with hallow you get 20% damage with 1 pt

With 100 pt in inure you get 20 mitigation and with hallow you get 220% damage with 100 pt

Mitigation is pretty rare to find. I think a few amulets give it and chest and shoulders give it at armor mastery... At level 75 (IIRC) I think such an amulet will grant 1.2% mitigation whereas a smith art will give about 20% damage IIRC (before socket). So I think mitigation is more rare. The purpose of hollow is to skip Lore/Tactics and choose more defensive or utility skill, but still make your kills.

I think Inquisitor needs all the defense they can get because they have poor armor values. If you don't take inure definitely take toughness at least.

Mitigation has increasing returns. 100% mitigation is infinitely better than 95% mitigation.

Damage% has diminishing returns.... the diff between +20% damage and +40% damage as a ratio is much larger than the ratio between +200% and +220%....

All that being said I think you may choose either and still succeed depending on what floats your boat.

Edit: Thought that I would add that there is a Niobium Smith art that adds 40% roughly to all damage channels. This is equivalent to the initial return and 10 Combat Art levels of hallow mod. There is no smith art however that returns 11% mitigation would be equivalent. This smith art also adds a huge amount to attack. Also of note is the fact that a level 1 character may equip an item with niobium smith arts forged into it.

Edited by claudius