Another build advice topic... Delphic Arcania

Amble

So after returning to Sacred 2 again after a long time off and getting the expansion and seeing that the staff skill adds in ranged attacks I was thinking of seeing if I could fit it into a build.

The skills I have chosen at the moment, undecided on the order yet:

Concentration

Delphic Focus

Delphic Lore

Bargain (no hi level shoppers yet)

Armor Lore

Constitution

Staff Lore

Riding (Cast animation seems faster to me... along with the defensive boni)

Ancient Magic (figuring it's worth it just for the mastery effect)

---? Shield Lore/Combat Discipline

I'm planning to use Cobalt Strike as a primary attack and Magic Coup as a ranged heavy hit spell...

My boggle is that I'm unsure if staff lore will actually be worth it or if shield lore will be.

I figure it'll be easy to find unique two handed staves or decent two handed staves in general. However lacking the defense bonus of shield lore and a nice shield is noticeable to me as early as level 20.

Would I be better off taking Pyromancer Lore and using Incendiary shower for a heavy hit and mod Inc Skin for the defense? If I went that route then I wouldn't need staff lore at all since I don't really plan to left click...

And if I go pure Delphic I'm wondering if I should mod Expulse for offense and let GI help block Combat Arts/effects or mod both for defense...

Also, what are peoples' thoughts on the expert mode thingy during character creation?