Regen time wiki addition

Well the program I was using to convert my spreadsheet isn't compatible with the "indirect" function and said something about using "index" as a work around. Which I can't see how that works. So without indirect you can't have pull down boxes to refine you search of combat arts like I had planned. I have the spreadsheet worked up, just need to input all the calculations for each Combat Art. However I was going to put a pause on that until we can figure out what we really want. I think a web-based form would be best as it would prevent people from needing excel or open office and also from having to start up another resource intensive program while Sacred is running.

If we can't get another method down, I can convert the sheet to just have one pull down list for ALL the Combat Arts (not including buffs, so a bit less than 84 Combat Arts) but it'll make for one long list even if it's sorted. I could also post the excel version for people that may want it.

Here's a look at the way the revised sheet is at the moment.

th_Clipboard02-4.jpg

The three yellow entries on the left are pull down menus which change based on class/aspect. The orange entries on the right are where you plug in your values. Then it calculates the regen time for you.

Edited by Amble

The conversion looked very nice Amble. I had a look at it last night. Unfortunately it's a bit bloated with javascript so I didn't even attempt to test it on your use page. Anything that has js script with the name Yahoo on it is a script I'd prefer not to touch, haha. I'd prefer to use as little js as possible if I can though I'm sure I'll be needing at least one script. Doesn't Excel have the option of exporting as html? I know that Google Spreadsheets can. That may be a much cleaner option. Pulldowns, or Dropdowns, can be html'ed so that isn't a complete roadblock. Just a matter of reading up on how to use them.

Agreed on web based being the best interface. You could certainly provide your excel as a download directly on the page that we build this into but I'm fairly certain players would prefer the convenience of a browser interface. Another alternative would be to make 7 different pages. One for each character. In fact if they didn't take up too much space the 7 different html's could be embeded on a single page for the sake of convenience. All a matter of testing of course.

Very efficient layout in that screenshot Amble. It's perfect. :P

Can you see if you can save/export that as html? Actually... I just checked and apparently Google Docs can import xlsx. Can you upload your revision? I'd like to have a look at it in Google Docs and export it as html.

You can export it as HTML but it looses it's interactivity and just saves it as a HTML table

I've uploaded to google docs. The "data" part is hidden and I've only put the calculations in for high elf arts at the moment. Though google docs doesn't implement the list type for data validation so no drop downs. You can however type out the combat art name and it will calculate it. Though that includes my rather exceptionally erroneous spelling of Ancestral.

Edit -- Unhid data portion and fixed spelling

Edited by Amble

Here's the revised spreadsheet in .xls format which will be a lot more widely compatible. Let me know if Open Office can export as HTML and keep the interactivity because I'd be very interested in having a tool like that I wouldn't have to pay for :P

That program I used above was a 30 day free trial, the full version is $99.

sacred_2_regen.zip

I finished the spreadsheet. I even changed the way the pull down boxes work, unfortunately that converter program doesn't work with the offset function either, so still no dependent drop down boxes...

Anyway, attached the finished sheet. I may have made mistakes in translation or in which aspect some Combat Arts are in, but I think it's right. I'll have to figure out a way later, if we want to go so in depth, to add in the cool down reducing mods.

Edit--Made a version of the sheet using the index function that the converter program's been crying about so much and it gives me an error about a strange formula and doesn't make any drop down boxes at all. So looks like my crappy program is useless.

sacred2regen1.zip

Edited by Amble

I'm afraid I didn't have any luck on my end with OpenOffice either Amble. I'm thinking that javascript is inescapable if we want to get the job done. I do think that providing a calculator for individual Combat Arts will be much easier though. From there we can no doubt exand this into a one page calculator.

Metal Max did make something similar to what we're after so I'll see about pming him. Maybe he'll have time to provide some tips on this. I think this your formula and spreadsheet provide an excellent base for an interactive calculator and I'd really like to see it come to fruition. I think we could take it even further in fact with nokka's submissions regarding skill formulas. Sadly, I have a ton of work to do on the sites until Sunday so I can't really dig too deeply into this just yet. As soon as I can though I'm going to see about applying your work within a web based interface.

Hey, Schot, not sure if you got my PMs while the site was down but I found out an error in my calculation:

(<base cost>+(<runes read>*<level cost>)+(<from equip>*<half level cost>))/(1+(<aspect regen bonus>-100%))

I forgot to account for the game considering 100% regen time as "default"

So while I solved the web page presentation problem, I'll have to recompile it with the new maths.

Edit--It would also seem the game always rounds down on the list so I'll add an extra decimal or two to the regen time.

Edited by Amble

Looking very nice Amble. I just tried embeding your work on the wiki but unfortunately the javascript restrictions built into the wiki are preventing it from working. The most likely way I see this working at the moment is to write each of the Combat Art regen calcs separately and then placing them on each Combat Art page. I'll try to look into this. As a download this seems perfect though. Awesome tool!

I read something about an iframe HTML tag that can be implemented with a wiki plug in which allows you to imbed into a wiki page a web site that's hosted remotely

Here's one result on it from a quick google search. Though I'm not sure if you can restrict it to just admins to have access to the tag since you wouldn't want people hosting websites on your wiki server.

The calculations require javascript. Using NoScript in Firefox allows me to use the dropdowns still but the calculating won't work.

Edited by Amble

That's great!

Glad to see it finally come to fruition on the wiki in some form :D

I learned a lot about the js used in it and while it still does have left over parts I'm sure some of it could be hacked off or re-written to work by someone who actually knows js.

There's a part at the bottom section that says something about yahoo wigets but removing that script disables the reset button. I believe the whole script is for all the buttons that are possible such as print, submit, etc

I also re-organized it in such a way to make adding or subtracting abilities or changing formulae wouldn't be so difficult. A sample line just after the body portion:

row2xAE1AE82[0]="Ancestral Fireball";row2xAF1AF82[0]=(3+cA2E*1.5+cA3E*.75)/(1+(cA4E-1));

The [#] is a range reference. The Combat Art name is the value assigned to the pulldown box (the stupid mistake I PMd you about) The second half contains the calculation for the art.

The styles are at the top if you wanted to change the color theme.

Now we just need to figure out where to put it so people can access it :D

Edited by Amble

It's quite cool Amble. It would be awesome if you were able to cut away the extra fat so to speak. I'm certain a good half of the code could be stripped away.

As for where to put it I think that a main page describing Regeneration could be perfect. Hmmm, gogo is good at page name set ups and such. I'll ask him for his input. The styling is pretty close to the wiki skin. I'll see if I can get it closer to the wiki skin style. Maybe use a wiki table style as a base.

Well I guess I could have done this before if I thought to, but I changed the reset button and cut away some more scripts and this is what I got after:

Clipboard04.jpg

The script on line 287 controls the items in the drop down boxes

512 is the formula to generate the regen time

The three scripts beginning lines 614, 633, and 647 I believe are left overs from the excel conversion. However, removing any one of them stops the site from functioning completely.

Attached my newer trimmed version which is down to 34k, which doesn't seem too bad.

sacred2regen.zip