Megamanning a Temple Guardian

I'm very interested in making a flexible Temple Guardian that can utilize both melee combat and the arm cannon effectively, as well as tossing out the occasional Lost Fusion or Source Warden attack.

Now, bearing in mind that the attacks made by the weapon arm rely on the attribute of the main hand weapon that's currently equipped, would it be possible to make a viable build that can provide mostly ranged fire support, as well as dish out some pretty hefty magical damage, or would that rely too much on intelligence? Thus far, I've determined that I would need, most likely, the following skills:

Lost Fusion Lore

Lost Fusion Focus

Source Warden Lore

Source Warden Focus

Armor Lore

Sword Weapons Lore

Beyond these, and without delving into Devout Guardian (Which basically makes ranged combat a moot point), what suggestions can be made to help get this idea off the ground? I mean, I know that I need strength to hit things hard, and intelligence to make my spells actually deal damage, but what would I do about the actual attack value? Without Combat Alert, it gets kind of tough to hit things.

I'm very interested in making a flexible Temple Guardian that can utilize both melee combat and the arm cannon effectively, as well as tossing out the occasional Lost Fusion or Source Warden attack.

Now, bearing in mind that the attacks made by the weapon arm rely on the attribute of the main hand weapon that's currently equipped, would it be possible to make a viable build that can provide mostly ranged fire support, as well as dish out some pretty hefty magical damage, or would that rely too much on intelligence? Thus far, I've determined that I would need, most likely, the following skills:

Lost Fusion Lore

Lost Fusion Focus

Source Warden Lore

Source Warden Focus

Armor Lore

Sword Weapons Lore

Beyond these, and without delving into Devout Guardian (Which basically makes ranged combat a moot point), what suggestions can be made to help get this idea off the ground? I mean, I know that I need strength to hit things hard, and intelligence to make my spells actually deal damage, but what would I do about the actual attack value? Without Combat Alert, it gets kind of tough to hit things.

I was giving your idea some thought today, and just my luck, THIS pops up! Have a few read-throughs, post your thoughts and questions over there. It is unfortunate that Damage Lore is not fully working on console versions. To fit in Source Warden aspect like you want to do, I would suggest that you substitute SWF and SWL in for Damage Lore and Enhanced Perception. If you are completely against using Devout Guardian aspect, this complicates things by a factor of 10. Maybe 100. Combat Alert (which becomes Battle Aura when made into a buff) and T-Energy Shield are just too good not to use. I agree that in a team setting, Ded. Blow, Battle Ext. and Deathly Spears are probably not needed.

Edited by essjayehm

Bear in mind that I probably won't even make it past silver. I have a friend I'd like to play with, and he'll usually play something tankish, but we don't play that often, so it wouldn't get that far. Does battle aura work on arm cannon attacks? If it does, I'll probably consider devout guardian. Y'see, I want to try a temple guardian build that doesn't revolve around the all-too-abuseable Combat Extension. That's the main idea I'd had in mind.

Bear in mind that I probably won't even make it past silver. I have a friend I'd like to play with, and he'll usually play something tankish, but we don't play that often, so it wouldn't get that far. Does battle aura work on arm cannon attacks? If it does, I'll probably consider devout guardian. Y'see, I want to try a temple guardian build that doesn't revolve around the all-too-abuseable Combat Extension. That's the main idea I'd had in mind.

Combat Alert works on your arm cannon attacks, yes. Not entirely sure with the damage bonus, but the +attack value% definitely applies.

Ach, I see! I think if you're only worried about playing thru silver & just having a fun time with the game, you really don't need to be overly worried about too much other than keeping your equipment up-to date. (HINT: Bargaining)

As a combat supporter, you have a couple of wonderful Combat Art's to help your friend, Combat Alert and Charged Grid. Just be sure not to make Combat Alert a buff, since it would be the Party modifier you want for the 3rd (gold) mod on Alert. Choose the healing mod on Charged Grid, and keep both Combat Art's as high a level as you can.

Edited by essjayehm

Combat Alert works on your arm cannon attacks, yes. Not entirely sure with the damage bonus, but the +attack value% definitely applies.

Ach, I see! I think if you're only worried about playing thru silver & just having a fun time with the game, you really don't need to be overly worried about too much other than keeping your equipment up-to date. (HINT: Bargaining)

As a combat supporter, you have a couple of wonderful Combat Art's to help your friend, Combat Alert and Charged Grid. Just be sure not to make Combat Alert a buff, since it would be the Party modifier you want for the 3rd (gold) mod on Alert. Choose the healing mod on Charged Grid, and keep both Combat Art's as high a level as you can.

Innate Abilities of Combat Art (level 1)

Cooldown: 30.0s

Damage: 15-15

Close Combat Attack Value: +50.0%

Defense Value: +25.0%

Duration: 15.2s

Unless different platforms have different attributes for Combat Alert....then I am pretty sure Combat Art only affects your close combat attacks whether it be with your mech arm or melee weapon. It does not apply to any ranged attacks however.

Innate Abilities of Combat Art (level 1)

Cooldown: 30.0s

Damage: 15-15

Close Combat Attack Value: +50.0%

Defense Value: +25.0%

Duration: 15.2s

Unless different platforms have different attributes for Combat Alert....then I am pretty sure Combat Art only affects your close combat attacks whether it be with your mech arm or melee weapon. It does not apply to any ranged attacks however.

Talking about the arm cannon! Firing on opponents outside melee range. I am sure (for me) that Combat Art "works".

Edited by essjayehm
I looked more closely at my damage output of the arm cannon and Combat Alert definitely increases it. Im not sure if my "to hit" for the arm cannon increased though. :paladin:

I'll confirm that 1000000%! I cannot hit much with the arm cannon in Niob without it. With it, no problem. I just don't pay attention to damage much.

• 3 months later...

Lost Fusion Lore

Lost Fusion Focus

Source Warden Lore

Source Warden Focus

Armor Lore

Sword Weapons Lore

I thought that your weapon arm only inflicted melee damage of the same type as your equipped weapon, and had its ranged damage modified by the TG's equipped battery? (don't really know as I've only played a melee TG)

The arm cannon only does a ranged attack (attack speed & chance to hit based on your equipped weapon). If you've got Battle Extension in your active CA slot then that will give you a % chance (100% when mounted) for a double hit (the same effect as for the CAs that can be modded for double hits, if it procs the hit that procs it is cloned & all damage, leach, etc happens twice with the same values as the original hit).