An idea for "Connecting to lobby..." problem

It seemed strange that it is so hard to get to the char screen when it all used to be good a long time ago. I used to be able to just quickly jump in and out of games and with different chars, but now even a simple thing as checking a mule has become quite an effort...

Some ppl don't have a problem, but some, like me, do.

A thing tho, that a lot of ppl didn't realize is that during the "connecting" the game gives up on trying, like something blocked it or something. Why I say that a lot of ppl don't realize this is because I read posts that they wait for an hour or something to connect. That is *******.

What ppl should do is, whenever u try to connect, look at the lamps on you're modem/router. If they stop blinking it means that network activity has stopped, which means there is no point u waiting for the thing to connect when it's not even trying to.

So, If the lamps stop blinking, just click cancel and try to connect again. And keep repeating until u get to char screen. At the char screen the lamps will stop blinking which is normal. So, basically instead of waiting for ages, always check the lamps to see if anything's happening.

Anyway, that was just a tip, not the actual idea I was gonna spill.

Here's the idea:

I figured that Sacred 2 might be using ports other than 6800 (for EU), because that's how the whole problem looks with the difficulty of connecting. It turned out to be correct, so here is what u need to do.

Grab this tool, install it, run it and scroll all the way down and click on Open Ports.

Then, click to sort the entries by Description and scroll down to the Sacred 2 entries.

The first entry is for the game client and the rest is for the server, but u only need the info of the second entry (first server entry).

a783b332.jpg

Open that remote port in you're modem/router config and see if there is any change when u try to connect.

Now, don't expect miracles from this. The only difference I have noticed is that I can connect a bit more often without problems. So, it is definitely not a fix. I guess it it just one obstacle less in trying to connect. Everyone who had a problem connecting will still have it, but hopefully not as much.

The only thing is, that port u opened changes randomly each time u start the game (not play, actually run the .exe), so u will have to get the port number and change it in the modem/router config.

Sorry if this was totally useless for everyone. I was just trying to help because the connection issue is p*****g me off as much as everyone else.

I really don't know why is it like this. It didn't used to be b4 I left the game for a long break... The only thing I can think of is that whoever is the host for closed.net cut down on the "resources" or something and their service providing is down to a bare minimum now or something. I dunno... I'm just thinking out loud...

Anyway...

Cheers. :)

EDIT:

OK, figured out a better way which actually seems to be good so far. Connected a few times in a row very fast. :)

Instead of checking the ports b4 u connect to lobby, actually try to connect and when u eventually get into the game, then have a look at the Sacred 2 entries. U will see u only have 1 entry which is the one u need.

ac518267.jpg

Just open up the 4 number port which is for you're game(in my case 5560). This port doesn't change randomly.

I realized there is no point opening the game server ports because in closed.net u don't use you're own server client.

I am curious if anyone will give this a try and post their experience.

EDIT:

Another thing u might wanna try is changing you're Transmit and Receive buffers. These buffers are simply used to stack bytes of data into a single grouping (called a "buffer") to be sent out to the serial bus on an open port on your computer. They group the data into a data stream to reduce the load on the CPU, rather than having the CPU send byte by byte to serial bus and then out the open port they group them in mass and then send them, essentially saving resources.

Higher value should be better, but maybe it takes a bit long to pack up so many bytes for Sacred 2 and it needs to be faster for proper info transfer. So, if u have set to 512, try 256 etc. So, just try setting those values to 1/2 less or 2x and see if there is any improvement. If there is no difference, just change back to default (remember the default values b4 changing).

Just note that each time u change the values and hit OK, you're internet connection will reset.

In my experience, it was set to Transmit at 256 and receive at 32 by default. A long time ago I changed it to double the value (512x64). It turns out (in my case) that the lower value was much better (changed it today) not only for the game but especially for browsing the net. I am on dial-up speed at the moment as I used up my DL limit for this month, but I was still able to play the game online today with no difference than with my full net speed. Except during lobby connecting which takes longer, but gameplay - no difference.

So, just another thing u could try. No harm can if u do it right, so don't blame me if u f**k up something. :D

Edited by Zatoichi