Does anyone here use Shields and Shield lore?

Does anyone use these? Maybe to stack with armor lore and toughness? Or does damage suffer too much?

Yes we use it a lot more now in Ice and Blood. it provides very nice evasion boost. Life leach is really annoying in Ice and Blood and the only way to avoid it is to not get hit. shield and shield lore with block chance: combat arts helps a lot. you can also get defense value shields that make enemies swing at air most of the time.

Chattius talks about shields and lore in is Kung Fu Dryad thread here:

I do not play with Ice and Blood.. Just regular Sacred 2 on ps3. I have noticed that its really difficult to get hit so far even without shield lore, compared to using a polearm as I have been inclined to use with almost every hero I have played.

I do not play with Ice and Blood.. Just regular Sacred 2 on ps3. I have noticed that its really difficult to get hit so far even without shield lore, compared to using a polearm as I have been inclined to use with almost every hero I have played.

Shields are really cool! I feel this site undervalues them (well, before the AddOn, anyway) since they can provide lots of nice bonuses. The first toon I really enjoyed had sword+shield for grinding thru the wilds of Ancaria, and would switch to a 2H sword for fighting against the big, bad bosses. There are a couple of really nice unique shields, as well!

But, you assume correctly that you can get better damage from using a 2H weapon or dual wielding.

PS - Welcome to Dark Matters! Glad to have another PS3'er aboard 8)

Edited by essjayehm

If I decide for shield lore then the reason is not the x% defense and the block chance at mastery. They are nice of cause. But best at shield lore are shields which have a modifier unlocked by shield lore. There are 3 such modifiers:

block chance melee

- if you have shield lore at 1 it will be like 25% block chance, at 200 near 80%

block chance ranged

base defense value, with shield lore at 200 it will be like 1000 defense on a shield as a modifier

So I look for rare shields at shops: 2 sockets, scaling block chance, ... . You will have 2 sockets more than with a two-hander. If you now socket (damage x-x///y % damage) rings into these sockets you are close to the damage of a two-handed with the protection of a shield.

For a dryad caster, shuriken thrower, kungfu:

Use shield and shield lore to reduce the number of weapon attacks you receive.

Use relicts and artamarks to have an allaround base armour which will be boosted by barkskin.

If you have to fight dangerous mages, modify dustdevil for combat art block, fight inside the dustdevil, use golden glade touch and a trutzwall (the all damage types armour one, safeguard?) and have combat art block socketed into every socket of this weapon slot, sword and shield.

It is not best to use one shield for all occasions if you have shield lore, optimize a weapon slot against mages, one for weapon attacks, ....

Someone should really write a shield guide :)