Blacksmithing and Ice and Blood

I have a TG Utility build, level 200. He's my BS, Bargaining etc. I noticed now that I'm using Ice and Blood, patch, 2.65.1 (I believe) that when I BS ammy, rings or anything like that into a piece of armor, it raises the level of the armor or weapon, for that matter, to at least the level of the item I'm putting in. For instance, if I have a 65 set piece I'm putting in an amulet that is level 200, it raises the set piece up to at least 200, without raising its stats or anything. Is this a bug? I used to be able to BS higher level amulets and rings into lower level gear and it didn't change the level. Working as intended? Does this mean those few that can get BS can only use it for themselves and for others its level?

:) Game keeps getting worse and worse with all the 'fixes'. I understand some like the challenge but it completely nullifies hours and hours of hard work and farming for me.

I had the impression that BS doesn't affect the level of the item that it creates, simply the level of items it can use while blacksmithing only. It's always for me used the lowest level item for the total item piece. Likewise, as BS levels up, it's stat increases seem to level up too from what I've noticed, when socketing items in gold/silver. It even made my +1 to all skills ammy a + 2 on the item, in a gold socket at level 30(for level 40 items) :)

I'm guessing that when it didn't change the level of the item to the lowest item, that was a bug, one I would've liked :)

I had the impression that BS doesn't affect the level of the item that it creates, simply the level of items it can use while blacksmithing only. It's always for me used the lowest level item for the total item piece. Likewise, as BS levels up, it's stat increases seem to level up too from what I've noticed, when socketing items in gold/silver. It even made my +1 to all skills ammy a + 2 on the item, in a gold socket at level 30(for level 40 items) :D

I'm guessing that when it didn't change the level of the item to the lowest item, that was a bug, one I would've liked :(

The bonus you see going from +1 to +2 is due to the sockets themselves. Gold sockets provide a 15% bonus to whatever you socket in them and silver a 7% bonus. 1+15% isnt 2 (its 1.15), but its due to the game rounding out what may be 1.45 (rounds to 1) +15% = 1.67 (rounds to 2).

@Kharzon I dont think this fix is really that bad, it prevents you making a taking level 200 rings/ammys and socketing them into a level 1's stuff which is way overpowered.

:D Game keeps getting worse and worse with all the 'fixes'. I understand some like the challenge but it completely nullifies hours and hours of hard work and farming for me.

Smithing in general on the consoles are broken/bugged. If you socket a higher level ring/amulet/rune into a lower level item, the item level should increase, otherwise it's massively overpowered as Dragon Brother says.

I had the impression that BS doesn't affect the level of the item that it creates, simply the level of items it can use while blacksmithing only. It's always for me used the lowest level item for the total item piece. Likewise, as BS levels up, it's stat increases seem to level up too from what I've noticed, when socketing items in gold/silver. It even made my +1 to all skills ammy a + 2 on the item, in a gold socket at level 30(for level 40 items) 2biggrin.gif

I'm guessing that when it didn't change the level of the item to the lowest item, that was a bug, one I would've liked sad.gif

Smith arts don't change the level of the original item, but socketting rings/amulets & runes can if they are of a higher level than the base item, this is the way it's supposed to work.

So, again, its only useful to max level characters or characters that can take Blacksmithing. Its a worthless skill now. So totally worthless considering only a few characters can even get it...

Bargaining is another one thats useless except in the same circumstances as Blacksmithing now. You can't go down to silver with a level 200 shopper and shop for your silver characters cuz everything you find is level 200+. So, with that, each character has to have bargaining *if you can even get it* or you have to wait till you are level 200 and have your shopper character give you stuff. Whats the point at level 200? ROFL. You've already beaten the game... Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Edited by Kharzon

Just as a different perceptive. I came from console where we had no blacksmith skill at all, and could socket high level gems into low level at a merchant BS. Coming to Ice and Blood was a huge adjustment to building characters. However, after a few builds I don't miss the blacksmith glitch. In fact Blacksmithing is a very useful skill for a number of reasons.

1. It lowers the the amount of gold needed to socket items. A niob level 152 smith uses almost nothing to smith gear now, compared to the hundreds of millions of gold I spent smithing on console

2. You can use it to socket ammies into Silver slots, rings into Bronze slots. Very useful when you have ammies you want to use but don't have a gold slot available.

3. You can socket high level smith arts into low level chars without changing the level. Very nice for new chars that need some armor and damage to get them through silver. With 2 silver or gold sockets I can double the damage of a level 2 character,

4. With mastery you have a chance to remove items from gear while not loosing items.

So for many of us losing the ability to socket high level gems into low level gear is not a game breaker.

Bargaining is another one thats useless except in the same circumstances as Blacksmithing now. You can't go down to silver with a level 200 shopper and shop for your silver characters cuz everything you find is level 200+. So, with that, each character has to have bargaining *if you can even get it* or you have to wait till you are level 200 and have your shopper character give you stuff. Whats the point at level 200? ROFL. You've already beaten the game... Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Bargaining is probably more useful in the early levels since it's easier to get Bargaining much higher than your character level. It's also a good idea to have Bargainers stationed at particular levels (eg, level 2, 30, 75, etc) to buy gear for your other characters as they pass through those levels. And since you're on the console you can "cheat" & use your high level char to buy rings/amulets to socket in other gear.

I'm not on console .... I'm on PC. I dumped my console version soon after buying it cuz it was done half assed. But, live and learn, I don't and will not, buy Deep Silver games again. Thanx for the replies.

I'm not on console .... I'm on PC. I dumped my console version soon after buying it cuz it was done half assed. But, live and learn, I don't and will not, buy Deep Silver games again. Thanx for the replies.

I hope Blacksmithing wasn't the only deal-breaker for you, especially if you enjoyed the game enough to swap out the console version for the PC version.

Being able to smith Amulets into Silver slots and Rings into Bronze slots is a huge deal, and off-hand I'd like to say that it balances out not being able to smith in higher level stuff like you can on the console. (People who are more knowledgeable than I am can confirm/refute that as they wish.)