Better than a Big Mac

I ran out of food today just as I finished work at around 5.00 pm, stomach grumbling, ran out the door, and found myself in a part of the grocery store I usually never visit. Seafood. I'm not a very good cook with fish and tender stuffs, and so find myself more often drawn to quick, trick recipes I can pour out of a can then spice to my liking. Today's flash visit/run down to the Metro (our local grocery rip off chain) had me looking at cool plexiglass bin five different kinds of seafoods, all frozen, different sizes, at the same price of about 10.99 a kg. What attracted me most was the shrimp. These suckers were huge, one could almost fit into the palm of a hand. As my eye roved over the selection I noticed some fat looking guys with some beautiful speckling. Cooked, garlic-added and perfect for my fast food urge which was quickly over whelming me. A quick zip into their heavily overpriced vegetables section and I spied a quart of mushroom on sale for 1.99 . Into the bag, up to the cash, and and a quick jaunt home.

Cooking like this is fun for me, it's something I'm getting used to rather than always ordering in or running for fast food. Some ideas tossed about in my head, the little sea monsters were begging to be fried, with the mushrooms cut up in thick chunks, some butter, some coconut milk, some more garlic, a touch of salt, and quick pour from a bag of mystery herbs.

prawns.jpg

Ayuh

Better than a Big mac

Thinkin of you Ike ^^

:wow:

gogo

heh, thanks Ethan. Seafood fan you are?

For some reason there is Mcdonald's in my blood. Each day there is a small roaring in my ears and this soreness in my gullet that signals the onset of the craving.

I'm hoping that small steps like this will forever cure me of the hideous addiction.

:wow:

gogo

I looove shrimp. I do also like McDonalds. Those also haunt me. Hey guess who's gonna be on the servers tonight? ME! 30 more minutes to download.

-TwinPowah!

Coconut milk? Really? Whats it do for the Lovely mixure in the pan? Where oh where is my Smell-O-Taste-O-Vision.

Looks good and is making me hungry again! I usually pick up a bag of the raw and peeled shrimp in the freezer section when I go to the grocery. They take very little time to defrost for a quick meal.

I also will crave mcdonalds but then hate myself b/c I feel like ass after. Congrats on keeping the demon away!

You're a brave one Gogo. I've only ever eaten frozen seafood once or twice and it was terrible, now I only eat it if it's fresh off the boat. As I'm from the coast I can afford to do that. :pitcher:

Yes, served over rice..I had to "borrow" some of Schot's :)

Furian, coconut milk is my newest thing. I don't want to give too much away because I want to write an article about it. But it is the deep taste of curries from Thailand and Srilanka.

Just a touch is enough to tingle and put your tastebuds on a rocketship.

:P

gogo

p.s. the steam droplets on that pic up against the fry pan wall are just insane :D

aaaarrrggghhh Dude yea be killing me. As soon as I read your post my mouth watered to an explosive result. I have got to get to the market tomorrow. "Steam droplets on that pic" and then I just had to look. I'm done for absolutely done for.

I am not a big fan of mushrooms, but it did look good. The garlic and spices and the coconut milk . . . I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

I just happen to be a HUGE fan of coconut milk/cream and we always have two or three cans of both sitting in the pantry.

A couple of warnings to any who would like to give it a try.

Make sure everything is nearly done before adding in the milk. You want to marry the flavors, but if you cook it too long your run into the danger of breaking down the milk.

Adding coconut milk or cream to a dish adds a definite shelf-life to your food. Don't keep it around too long. I had to learn that the hard way.