Trying to get into Sacred 2 but...

I finally got my copy of Sacred 2 Gold and have installed the game, and then patched it to the latest patch. I can start the game, play for a bit, but after about 30-45 minutes, it'll do a short lock up, then shoot back to windows with that Windows 7 message stating something to the effect of the Sacred 2 client shutting down. I've tried a few things to get away from this, I've tried taking off the physics graphic enhancement, running as administrator, unplugging my internet, stopping my virus protection, turning off pretty much every program. I just don't get it, I realize it's a buggy game but the same thing happens everytime after about the same amount of time. I'm kind of at my wits end due to not really make any progress with my characters due to doing missions over and over again before it locks up and exits out. Heck, my Dragon Mage just became unplayable after I sold some stuff to an NPC. Does anyone know what else I might try? I've been reading the forums a bit. I tried that 4GB patch suggested, also -nocupbinding. I have a Quad AMD 3.2 Ghz, Nvidia 275XT, and 8 GB of ram if that helps. I don't know, I've tried everything to get this game going. I had first bought the Xbox version, but wanted to play it on the pc, then bought the collector's edition off pc and patched to 2.40 since after that, it doesn't work with windows, now with Sacred 2 Gold, I just want to play the game, that's all.

it sounds like it may be a combo of physx and the memory issue at 1.5Gb. I run a very similar system to yours and have experimented a lot. reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers then disable PhysX in the nvidia control panel. even if I have it on in Windows it crashes the game. Next in your graphics options inside Sacred 2 turn down your detail setting a bit as well as no PhysX. I know it's a drag to have a uber PC and have to turn setting down but it worked for me. I run a 1080P window with grass off and all other details at HIGH. no physX no AA no Weather. the detail is still stellar and I can play for a long time without a crash.

I also run the 4GB patch. and -nocpubinding. also you bought the collectors edition. don't try to run the Elite graphics as it will over exceed the 1.5 Gb ram limit in less that 5-10 Min.

BTW: Welcome to Dark Matters!

It also matters as to what opperating system you are running. In Windows 7 64 bit I have to run in XP service pack 3 compatibility mode but I didn't have to turn down any of the other settings or disable Physx. Your post did not indicate that you tried running in different compatibility modes.

It also matters as to what opperating system you are running. In Windows 7 64 bit I have to run in XP service pack 3 compatibility mode but I didn't have to turn down any of the other settings or disable Physx. Your post did not indicate that you tried running in different compatibility modes.

Are you running 2.65.2 rnarchlord? I don't have the compatibility checked on mine. I think it nagged me to re-register when I tried it. anyway if it would let me run full graphics I may give it a try.

I have updated to the most recent and run Windows 7 64, I run it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode as well. Still with that, it cuts out to desktop every 30-45 minutes.

At what video setting? Resolution, detail sliders etc?

Are you running 2.65.2 rnarchlord? I don't have the compatibility checked on mine. I think it nagged me to re-register when I tried it. anyway if it would let me run full graphics I may give it a try.

I'm running 2.65.1 and it never asked me to re-register. I had run it for several months without using the "-nocpubinding" switch and the only times it locked up was when my cat would walk across the keyboard. I recently started using the "-nocpubinding" switch because I have an i975 and wanted to spread the load. Have you checked your thermals? Heat buildup can mess up the cpu and the gpu. Since the game saves whenever you teleport, complete quests or enter/exit caves you should be losing only any progress since the last save/quest. Also, if you are playing Sacred 2 Gold did you activate using only the Ice & Blood key or both? I play with my antivirus running game mode and my firewall is set to game mode as well. Have you tried a reinstall of the game with your antivirus off during the install? Some antivirus programs are real picky as to what can be changed during an install and can mess up a registry key.

Edited by rnarchlord

Unless this has been addressed somewhere else, as far as I am aware Ice&Blood has serious issues with Win7.

Frequent crashes is the problem. It has been reported over at ClanDA.

I know that this is probably a retarded suggestion SadExchange, but if it is at all possible you might find a dual boot XP/Win7 system will allow you to play the game in XP.

@ stubbie. Win 7 had an issue with 2.64. that was resolved with 2.65 :D

@rnarchlord - I have tried Win XP 32 and 64 and have reinstalled Sacred 2 about 4 or 5 times. I have found my win7 64 installation to be the most stable. I run a i5 750 at 3.3Ghz with 8 Gb of Ram. and Dual GTX260 gfx in Sli. My CPU temps never go over 50 C(full loaded) with the case and cooler I have. However your right about the heat. that really lags things down when everything goes into thermal guard and slows down.

Anyway over the last year of helping peep get into Sacred2 I have found that:

1. Everybody has different hardware that create unique issues.

2. Nvidia vs ATI makes a huge difference. Nvidia users must disable the hardware PhysX in control panel for smooth play even when not using Physx in game. and in general I think the ATI guys have less issues.

3. The memory prob at 1.5 Gb is the main culprit these days. Reducing screen resolution and/or turning down the detail is the only fix for this one.