Wired - Dell Streak Smears Line Between Phone and Tablet

FdmNews

pr_dell_streak_large_wide.jpg

Dell Streak Smears Line Between Phone and Tablet

Ed. note: Dell has not announced a price for the Streak.

Here's what you need to know about me. I spend more time checking e-mail, playing with apps and browsing on my smartphone than actually talking on the device.

So what if there was a gadget that had an enormous screen that also focused on apps and reading. Oh, with a phone feature, too.

That would look a lot like the Streak, a 6-inch slab of glass and electronics running the Android operating system — except it bills itself as a tablet. Streak is targeted at smartphone users who crave a larger display but still need a device that's portable and could potentially replace their phone.

The Streak isn't there yet. It is a bit of everything — a brilliant 800 x 400 display, a 5-megapixel camera, a reasonably capable phone, a solid browser and access to Android apps. But it doesn't blow you away with any of the features. There was nothing about it that made me want to abandon my current phone or tablet.

The Streak's 5-inch touchscreen display is just a tad bigger than the latest crop of Android smartphones (HTC Evo and Droid X each sport a 4.3-inch touchscreen) but significantly smaller than the iPad's 9.7-inch display. That puts the device in this awkward middle ground: too big to be a real phone, too small to directly take on the tablets............

View the full article