Does Damage Lore also effect spell effects I.e. Blazing Tempest etc

S-P

Damage Lore has been a very hot topic this last month, after Master Chattius intoduced me to it in his builds months ago.

Gogo has started a table in the wiki here: Damage Lore

Perhaps Llama since you have had a good grasp of the ins and outs of Damage Lore could you suggest a good description to add to the Wiki page. That way we can complete the table and have a good reference to point peeps to.

Post here and I can add to wiki,

I've added a line on the properties section & the line below it says what the mastery doesn't affect (since that's quicker & easier to define than what it does affect). What might be good is to get a list of the CAs that it won't affect (ie, a list of what Combat Arts have stated DoTs, or where mods add DoTs such as the Gust of Wind Poison Mist mods) & then replace the table with that list.

Edit: Combat Arts with "native" DoTs:

Blazing Tempest

Frost Flare

Cobalt Strike

Energy Blaze

Eternal Flame (not really, but nothing affects EF)

Levin Array

CAs with mods that give a DoT:

Blazing Tempest (Conflagration)

Frost Flare (Frost)

Gust of Wind (Poison Mist)

Clustering Maelstrom (Gash)

Dislodged Spirit (Torture)

Eruptive Desecration (Plague)

Baneful Smite (Electrocute)

Edit #2:

I've added the lists at the bottom of the DL page, I'm sure someone can make it look a bit prettier...

Thanks Llama8, checked out the changes you've made on the Wiki. Well that clears up what I was thinking about Blazing Tempest. If I take Greek fire on Ancestral Firedball it still maybe worth it I guess.

Damage Lore can still effect BT though, just not the DoT that's stated on the tooltip. When a monster get's hit by BT, it starts taking the DoT that the tooltip says, in addition, since BT does fire damage BT has a chance to set the target on fire (as all attacks that do fire damage do). If this is successful (can be increased by taking Incendiary Skin's Inferno mod, or Damage Lore, or any +% chance for burn item mods), Damage Lore mastery will increase the DoT.

Blazing Tempest is a special case & can be confusing, since it does fire damage (& can therefore give rise to a DoT that is modified by Damage Lore) as well as having a DoT that is not modified by Damage Lore (the one on the tooltip, though this is increased by the Conflagration mod).

None of the HE's Fire CAs need mods to be taken to be able to give DoTs modifiable by Damage Lore, though mods that increase the chance to inflict burning will make it easier.

Now I'm confused....So I've taken Inferno mod on IS, so I don't need to take Damage Lore to get the DoT effect? But am I right in thinking that Damage Lore mastery will increase the damage of DoT effects given by Greek Fire/Inferno? Or am I still confused here. :)

Now I'm confused....So I've taken Inferno mod on IS, so I don't need to take Damage Lore to get the DoT effect? But am I right in thinking that Damage Lore mastery will increase the damage of DoT effects given by Greek Fire/Inferno? Or am I still confused here. :)

It is simpler than it sounds, but still confuses the heck out of me too. Let me see if I can un-complicate this with a detailed explination :lol

Forget for a moment about blazing tempest. take any Combat art and hit a monster with it. the hit does damage. any time you do damage there is a chance for a secondary effect(DOT). Damage Lore increase the chance that this secondary damage can occur. the Amount of damage from a secondary effect is a % of the original damage that caused the secondary effect. At mastery Damage lore can increase that percentage.

Now in the case of the fire aspect of the HE. it does fire damage. There are mods that you can take such as inferno that increase the chance to Burn(Fire DOT). Damage lore also increases that chance to burn. These chance add up to make for a really good chance for a DOT

In the example of Blazing tempest it has a native DOT that is part of the CA. That native DOT is not part of the Mix here. It stands on its own. Damage lore does not have any affect on it. However, since it is Fire Damage. A secondary Burn(Dot) can occur.

Example: my level 90 Piromante. She can do 3500 damage with the initial hit of BT. She then ticks off 4200 per second of DOT. I also see secondary Burn effects of about 300-400 per second for about 10 seconds. estimated

Damage lore only effects the chance for those small 400 Dots. and Mastery would increase the size of the 400s , but would not affect the big ones 4200 or the 3500 damage of the initial hit.

I hope this helps answer for you.

Thanks locolagarto, that pretty much somes it up for me. I know how it works now. That's the thing with Sacred 2 you keep learning new things. :)

Edited by S-P
Thanks locolagarto, that pretty much somes it up for me. I know how it works now. That's the thing with Sacred 2 you keep learning new things. :)

If finally clicked for me today reading the wiki and Llama's comment on it. I was confused about it for a long time.

The shame of it is that a high elf really doesn't need a weapon lore at all, but in order to get Damage Lore you have to take Sword, or staff, or tactics. if it was a first pick skill it would be in all my HE builds

If finally clicked for me today reading the wiki and Llama's comment on it. I was confused about it for a long time.

The shame of it is that a high elf really doesn't need a weapon lore at all, but in order to get Damage Lore you have to take Sword, or staff, or tactics. if it was a first pick skill it would be in all my HE builds

You know I hadn't noticed that, never tried Damage Lore before. I guess I'll have to drop Spell Resistance and take Staff to get damage lore. Another thing why is the Inquisitor the only one that has Damage Lore as a primary skill? Just don't make sense to me. :crazy: