Why is this Staff so Good?

Hello, I'm currently playing a Shadow Warrior level 54, in the swamps. I like to use staves for my weapons. (I know, I could be doing hundreds or even thousands more damage - it's all overkill in single player.)

I've found a wonderful staff that is totally flabbergasting me with how effective it is. The pertinent stat seems to be "Opponent Level for Death Blow, +32%".

When using this staff, I am amazed at how all of a sudden the yellow numbers just go and go. With all my higher damage weapons, I get yellow numbers maybe one in five to ten hits. With this staff, I am getting yellow numbers on almost every hit! It amazes me.

What exactly is happening with the "Opponent Level for Death Blow" bonus on items? This staff is the only item I've found in the entire game that has that particular bonus.

If it matters, my general character strategy is to spam Frenzied Rampage. I pump Dexterity for the Defense Value, and wear basically nothing but cloth armor. (I've found that I don't need anything better, and I like the image of an old man running around with cloth robes and a staff who is secretly the most powerful being on the planet.) I have Tactics Lore and Speed Lore maxed, and I have the Perception skill pumped to increase my chance for special items like this staff.

Bosses and dragons and that Carthac demon fellow, or whatever his name was, have all been pushovers, with or without the staff. But I am curious what this particular bonus does, since it seems to increase the weapon's effectiveness by a factor of ten. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

Edited by belgarathmth

Since gogo already gave a usefull answer and there's nothing to add...

I'l just LOL on this sentence xD

(I've found that I don't need anything better, and I like the image of an old man running around with cloth robes and a staff who is secretly the most powerful being on the planet.)
When using this staff, I am amazed at how all of a sudden the yellow numbers just go and go. With all my higher damage weapons, I get yellow numbers maybe one in five to ten hits. With this staff, I am getting yellow numbers on almost every hit! It amazes me.

Thanks.

The yellow damage details would ideally come on every hit. no one wants to swing and miss right? This is connected to Chance to Hit. Deathblow is an awesome modifier for doubling damage, but has no impact on chance to hit.

Chance to Hit is a combination of factors: But the most common comes from the Hero's Attack Value vs. the Monsters Defense Value. you have speed lore at char level which is adding a small amount to attack and defense. as well as survival bonus and leveling add to your Attributes increasing Strength and Dexterity. All of these go to improving chance to hit.

Good Luck

Thanks.

The yellow damage details would ideally come on every hit. no one wants to swing and miss right? This is connected to Chance to Hit. Deathblow is an awesome modifier for doubling damage, but has no impact on chance to hit.

Chance to Hit is a combination of factors: But the most common comes from the Hero's Attack Value vs. the Monsters Defense Value. you have speed lore at char level which is adding a small amount to attack and defense. as well as survival bonus and leveling add to your Attributes increasing Strength and Dexterity. All of these go to improving chance to hit.

Good Luck

Thanks for the answers, Gogo and Dark.

@Loco: I thought I was only seeing yellow numbers with special damage hits such as criticals, and that, with my staff, all the yellow numbers I'm seeing are double damage.

My to hit rate against most enemies is 80% or greater. I sacrifice a bit of offensive ability in favor of defense. The enemy chance to hit me, including with bosses, stays at less than 20%. Maybe I'm just starting to notice the yellow numbers because the staff is making them a lot bigger with all the double damage.

I also thought the red numbers were when they got me for a critical, but it's hard to tell because they hit me so rarely. If those red numbers are the only time they're hitting me, then I'm almost invulnerable against most enemies, because I can stand in the middle of a mob for 10 seconds and let them whale on me before I see the first red number. They usually commit suicide against my Reflective Emanation before I take any damage.

I'm playing US pre-Ice and Blood, if that matters.

Edited by belgarathmth

Yep the yellow is your damage per hit(Actual after armor and what not) the Reds are there hits against you. if your not seeing any reds that is fantastic as that means your defense vs Monster Attack is wining.

Have you taken a weapon lore? that will raise your attack value and chance for Criticals as well.

Reflective Em is a nice buff. they will hurt them selves at least a percentage of the time instead of you.

GG