Resolution change causes game to minimize

Sacred 2: Ice and Blood 2.65.2 was working fine at native resolution (1680x1050).

The problem began when I tried to change the resolution to (1400x1050).

I figured the extra 280x1050 pixels are not really necessary, so why slow down the computer by drawing them every frame?

Now everytime I try to load the game and it tries to change resolution, the game minimizes itself. If I click on the game's button on the taskbar, the game pops up and then immediately minimizes itself again. Same thing happens with ALT+TAB.

1 out of every 10-20 times, the game will actually succeed in changing the resolution.

Sacred 2: Ice and Blood 2.65.2 was working fine at native resolution (1680x1050).

The problem began when I tried to change the resolution to (1400x1050).

I figured the extra 280x1050 pixels are not really necessary, so why slow down the computer by drawing them every frame?

Now everytime I try to load the game and it tries to change resolution, the game minimizes itself. If I click on the game's button on the taskbar, the game pops up and then immediately minimizes itself again. Same thing happens with ALT+TAB.

1 out of every 10-20 times, the game will actually succeed in changing the resolution.

What kind of monitor are you using? The reason I ask is that with some monitors the have different resolutions and yours may not support 1400X1050 native. 1680X1050 is a wide screen resolution. if you are using a HDTV it may not like the standard 4:3 resolution.

Yeah, that's possible, but this problem happens with any resolution, even standard ones like 1024x768.

I figured it out! :)

Right-click on the shortcut, click Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and tick the box that says Disable desktop composition.

Some of the loading backdrops work now, too!

(You can see the loading graphics in your sacred 2 folder \ system \ loading \ *.jpg)

UPDATE:

This fixed a lot of stuttering, especially at night in town when those lights are on. Normally the fps would drop by 33% just because of the extra lights at night, but it stayed at a solid 60 fps even zoomed out while running and panning the camera around. My video card must have been right on the edge of what it could handle.

Edited by BleachFan
I'll try that on my Toshiba tonight when I get home from the mines!

Did it help you?

Telling the video driver control panel not to force anti-aliasing was the other thing that got the loading screens working 100% of the time. I never knew they were in the game before! lol

Well I'm not sure, I followed what you did without a problem but I really didnt notice any change. How do I confirm that my control panel is not forcing anti-aliasing? I'm running a PNY Geforce GTS 250.

Maybe it's an ATI specific fix. Are you experiencing the same problems?

To open the Nvidia control panel, I think you right-click on the desktop and select Nvidia or something similar. (You might also find it by typing "nvidia" in the start menu.) Go to 3D, check the global profile, and make sure it's configured to let the application choose its own antialiasing. Also check in the game profiles tab for a profile called Sacred 2. It may or may not be there. If it is, verify the antialiasing is also configured to let the application choose its own antialiasing.

Maybe it's an ATI specific fix. Are you experiencing the same problems?

To open the Nvidia control panel, I think you right-click on the desktop and select Nvidia or something similar. (You might also find it by typing "nvidia" in the start menu.) Go to 3D, check the global profile, and make sure it's configured to let the application choose its own antialiasing. Also check in the game profiles tab for a profile called Sacred 2. It may or may not be there. If it is, verify the antialiasing is also configured to let the application choose its own antialiasing.

that sounds about right.