Game now telling me my save file has been manipulated

Ok, so I play on XBox. I made a second live account to act as a mule for my main. I transfered everything I had over to the mule, 1274 slots worth of sets and unique weapons. I've been able to trade between the two fine. Now for some reason I can't.

Someone had asked me if I had any items I could give them for their Seraphim, so I grabbed the second controller and was able to bring in a character from the second account, the mule. Well, the second account doesn't have the Carrier Imp DLC, but it allowed me to use it anyways. I was in front of the Orc Cave and didn't want to run back and forth, so said, wth, why not if it will let me. Since I've used it, it's now telling me my save file has been manipulated and I can no longer trade with any players with that account, thus losing months worth of farming. I don't understand exactly what happened. I can't trade over to my main anymore, or with any other player with my mule account.

Is there any way to fix this, or am I eternally screwed? I've tried removing the Imp DLC but it still won't let me trade. I'm really lost and REALLY aggravated over this. If any could help me out, please, I would be so grateful. I'm really hoping not to have lost all that stuff.

Is there any way to fix this, or am I eternally screwed?

Unfortunately, the latter is true. Once a file is flagged as "Manipulated", it can't be undone while salvaging the file as is.

The only way I can think of fixing this is to restore your system and save files from a System Backup (assuming the 360 has this function, and you've made one).

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bug somewhere on the xbox that causes this, if you google it you'll find loads of threads around the place. Quite a few people have had some success recovering from this using a USB memory stick, I've had it twice now both times shortly after downloading the carrier Imp add on so I'm not risking using that anymore.

Try these steps it's what has worked for me.

1. Format the USB drive in your xbox so that you can use it as a storage device.

2. Go to system settings -> memory -> hard drive -> Sacred 2 and move (not copy) the save game file to the memory stick.

3. Delete save game files from your hard drive

4. start the game and load your character from the memory stick you should be able to trade now.

5. Move it back to the hard drive as step 2

No idea why moving the save game to a different device and back again gets rid of the bug but it's worked for me on both occasions -- I keep a backup of my characters now for this very reason.