Confirmed Information Regarding "Trade Locked" Files

So, my old 60 GB PS3 YLODed on Thursday. I ended up buying a new Slim PS3 today and sticking the 500 GB hard drive that I put into the 60 GB model into the new Slim model.

Unfortunately, I can't use the Data Transfer Utility on the old PS3 (seeing as it's dead and all), meaning that I was dependent on my most recent system back up (using the Backup Utility).

Confirmed Info #1: Using the Backup Utility's "Restore" function on another PS3 will make Sacred 2 think that you've manipulated your file, and you will no longer be able to trade using that saved file. The only way around this would be the Data Transfer Utility, which doesn't help if your old machine is dead. This includes if you're using the same hard drive in the new system. This case does not apply if you are changing the hard drive in the same system.

Confirmed Info #2: You can still obtain trophies using the save file from the Backup Utility on the new machine (did this with my Sacred 2 Hardcore account save file).

Confirmed Info #3: If your save file is "Trade Locked", there isn't a difference in the file size of the save file. (Evidenced by my save file remaining the same size as it was prior to my 60 GB dying.) If your save file is "Trophy Locked", there is. (Evidenced by an increase in file size when copying to a USB stick, and that file size remaining when you copy the file from the stick to another PS3.) I've changed the info on the Wiki to reflect this.

This might help out current / future players who end up unable to trade.

I guess I am fortunate enough to not care about savegames, toons or stashes. I suffered 4 fatalities of my PS's each time with 100's if not 1000's of hours of Sacred 2 goodies stashed away. :twitch:

But that was how I discovered my most favourite way to play these kind of games: self-sufficient. The only use I have for the stared stash was for runes while I was trying to make a toon with thousands of runes read into one CA (never happened.. got a little over 200, but that was it).

But, obviously there was some purpose to this security feature, as when the Xbox community cracked Sacred 2 (and started creating and copying stupid-uber gear), there was a lot of mudslinging... which everyone hates. And having hacked items in an open online enviroment just invites trouble. BUT, there still should be a way to play a dupe toon offline, where the only people affected can punch you if they want ;)