Anyone have any experience with an nVidia GT520 video card?

The reason I ask, I'm sure many readers may be aware of, my trusty GT 220 card died a few weeks ago - and I've been stuck on the sidelines with a lame Radeon 1250 based onboard video subsystem built into the motherboard. Needless to say, this is unacceptable as the Radeon 1250 is a basic video chipset and sucks rotten eggs when it comes to gaming. Sacred 2 runs like a slide show!

So anyhow, I did a bit of shopping online and came across what seems like a good deal. It's a Zotac ZT-50604-10L GeForce GT 520 card - and Fried Electronics has it for $19.99 after a $20 rebate. This brings it down to a price point that's at or below the GT 210 and 8400 GT series cards' price range.

Just wondering if anyone's had a card with this chipset and what they think of it. I'm going to have to pull the proverbial trigger in the next couple of days - the rebate expires on the 31st of July.

No experience with that card but Tom's Hardware lists it as below the one that is being replaced.

Yep it's 2 tiers down so you will definitely get lower performance then you got with the GT220.

This just shows how deceiving nVidea are (ATI can also be the same) when it comes to numbering graphic cards. :dry:

Use the list that Wygram posted to get a good idea what to get. I cant recommend any nVidea cards as I have only used ATI for the last few years.

No experience with that card but Tom's Hardware lists it as below the one that is being replaced.

Yep it's 2 tiers down so you will definitely get lower performance then you got with the GT220.

This just shows how deceiving nVidea are (ATI can also be the same) when it comes to numbering graphic cards. :dry:

Use the list that Wygram posted to get a good idea what to get. I cant recommend any nVidea cards as I have only used ATI for the last few years.

Indeed... Kinda makes no sense either when you consider the GT220 has a 510 MHz clock while the GT520 is supposed to have an 810 MHz clock... All else being equal (1 GB DDR3), you'd think the 520 would smoke the 220.

Ah well... Guessing I'll save myself the hassle and just go with another 220...

If you're looking at the 500 series you'd probably be better off grabbing a GTX 550 Ti. It's the card I switched to when my old one burnt out and it's pretty powerful considering the price tag. It doesn't seem to have any issues running Sacred 2, just remember to turn off antialiasing and physx as even with my old card the game tended to crash randomly with those options on.

Edited by Ygdrad

Well, no personal experiences here, either, but if I looked correctly from Passmark, that's not even high-end nowadays. Cheap, maybe, but quite toothles, tbh...

Ygdrad's quite right about the 550 ti. If you gat the dough, I'd suggest leaping to it. More power to the gaming, one might say, eh? :P

Well, no personal experiences here, either, but if I looked correctly from Passmark, that's not even high-end nowadays. Cheap, maybe, but quite toothles, tbh...

Ygdrad's quite right about the 550 ti. If you gat the dough, I'd suggest leaping to it. More power to the gaming, one might say, eh? :P

Yeah.. From pretty much every source I've read, the 520 is quite a waste of money. I'm thinking the 210/220 would be a better deal as it's cheaper overall and has more horses under the proverbial hood.

The 550ti sounds like a good deal - except funds are kind of tight at the moment. Sadly, I have other bills to pay. :nooo::sob:

Wolfie: Don't we all?

Sure thing, it's kinda confusing with all the numbers and very little differences. If one's not getting the most high-end cards at the moment, one's bound to swamp into so many options.

That was painfully obvious when I was hunting a good replacement for friend's system.

Well, hopefully you'll find a dencent one, whichever the decision is. :)