Install for Sacred 2 Gold (UK) Fails to install some files on WIndows 8

I purchased the UK version of Sacred 2 and the Ice & Blood expansion; and had been happily playing on my windows 7 computer. I recently repaved my computer and installed Windows 8 (for better or worse); now when I install Sacred 2; the installer completes as if it worked properly, but the main executable is missing, and none of the short cuts are in place. It looks like all of the other files are there.

Anyone have any ideas how to correct this? I tried setting the compatibility settings to Windows 7, Vista, and run as administrator and several other combinations, but it still continues to not place all of the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

I purchased the UK version of Sacred 2 and the Ice & Blood expansion; and had been happily playing on my windows 7 computer. I recently repaved my computer and installed Windows 8 (for better or worse); now when I install Sacred 2; the installer completes as if it worked properly, but the main executable is missing, and none of the short cuts are in place. It looks like all of the other files are there.

Anyone have any ideas how to correct this? I tried setting the compatibility settings to Windows 7, Vista, and run as administrator and several other combinations, but it still continues to not place all of the files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

I had to do some fiddling around with things. Still haven't quite gotten it working properly - I think my installer files are toast. Keep getting errors with the patch for 2.40... But that's another issue all together.

Here's what you probably should try:

1.) Wipe out whatever files you've got installed currently.

2.) Go to the folder where the downloaded files are lurking.

3.) Right-Click on the primary installer file and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

4.) Go thru the installation process.

It should work at this point.

Welcome aboard!

I know Sacred 2 can run on Windows 8. Just for grins, I installed Sacred 2 Gold on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Do you receive any errors on the install?

Thanks!

No, that is the puzzling part, there is no indicating of an issue, but the executable and the shortcuts are missing.

I did not get a shortcut, but the EXE was there and worked.

Where did you find the EXE?

The Win8 PC is gathering dust in a closet, but IIRC it was in the same location as Win7. Should be: ..\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\system\sacred2.exe. The beginning of the path will vary depending on where you installed it.

The Win8 PC is gathering dust in a closet, but IIRC it was in the same location as Win7. Should be: ..\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\system\sacred2.exe. The beginning of the path will vary depending on where you installed it.

Nope, sacred2.exe is no where to be found :-(.

Nope, sacred2.exe is no where to be found :-(.

Sacred2.exe is located inside the system directory.

The issue turned out to be that because I installed WIndows 8 professional, the game center is not there, so there is no hint of a short cut.

Additionally, in order to play the game, it appears that I have to manually run the game server first,and then the sacred game client.

I am happily playing now! :-).

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have recently purchased windows 8,and am trying to install sacred 2 from disc. It asks for disc 2, and then chokes on the disc, I thought it was my disc originally,so got it cleaned by GAME. I then retried,and it was still choking on the 2nd disc. I decided to try and install it on my partners windows 7 machine,and it installs perfectly fine off the discs.

Is there any help available?

Thanks,

Alex

Hi all,

I have recently purchased windows 8,and am trying to install sacred 2 from disc. It asks for disc 2, and then chokes on the disc, I thought it was my disc originally,so got it cleaned by GAME. I then retried,and it was still choking on the 2nd disc. I decided to try and install it on my partners windows 7 machine,and it installs perfectly fine off the discs.

Is there any help available?

Thanks,

Alex

If you haven't already, I would start a ticket with Microsoft (via Win8 help, I suppose) to see if they have some ideas... just that Win8 is so new I don't think too many people here have tried intalling Sacred 2 on Win8.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the quick reply,

I will create a ticket...but for now, I atleast got it installed. I used the other machine to create an .iso of the 2nd disc, it then installed to 99% and then I swapped in the real disc when it "checks" that it's not a copy. Urgh, that was a long work-around :P Totally worth it ^^ Shadow warrior here I come! :D

Thanks for the quick reply,

I will create a ticket...but for now, I atleast got it installed. I used the other machine to create an .iso of the 2nd disc, it then installed to 99% and then I swapped in the real disc when it "checks" that it's not a copy. Urgh, that was a long work-around :P Totally worth it ^^ Shadow warrior here I come! :D

Heh... you've already proven that you know tons more than I :D

Glad you got sorted, though...

Happy Hunting!