Is there any way to play the original Sacred?

There may be very mild spoiler allusions in this post for Sacred gold underground.

Sacred Underworld (gold) is not the same game as Sacred. I dont think they are compatable- but you guys are the go-to for any opinion I'd have on that. There are quests in Sacred missing from Gold. I used to have the original Sacred and all patches on a computer, but I foolishly erased it when Gold came out thinking it was the same product but with the addition of underworld. It was not.

did you know at Faeries Crossing, (sic?) there was a npc who gave you the quest to go to the undead cave just around the corner? No, not the undead grave yard, the berries-vision thing from the witch, nor the undead near the ruins, but the cave right around the corner just before crossing the bridge into the next region? There are many of these missing quests. Did you know a soldier at Braverock at their cabin area enclosure, (surrounded by log fence at base of Braverock area) would give a quest to go to a underground section, filled with baddies, back side of Braverock, very near where the gal and guy lived who needed silver/berries/antedote to live? The underground compound is still there, and you can go there through an almost forgotten castle wall archway, but there's no quest I know of that uses it. ( No, not the gargolyle one for the cave much farther away) I don't know if its my memory or what, but there are also places now closed that I thought used to be open. You walk up to a cave or underground entrance, and find they are sealed shut. There is one of these caves across the 'dead' town, the town right across the river from where you leave the likable bubbha nor? (did I get that right?) Ogre guy you lead home.

There were weapons which waved the non-combatant protection and allowed hunting, for instance. While I did not spend time hunting, I miss the extras and the missing quests. (please don't get upset because my son hunted bunnies...he was leveling up, the easy way he said.) I'm not sure, but I think you could socket abilities in a weapon and actually have them, even if your character did not choose them, at least for the sake of using the weapon. Meet the requirements by rings and jewlery. Am I wrong about that? (This is different than the practise of overiding/replacing the minimum requirements which is often used today. )

I have the original disks. Are the patches still available- to make original Sacred? Anywhere? All patches I've seen are for gold. Without the patches, original Sacred glitches and becomes unplayable. You can't get far. I've version 1.0 Later versions did better, I'm sure.

I still have the original Sacred manual, without Dwarf and the succubus gal from hell with the tiny wings.

Thank you very much.

• Like! 1

I know how you feel, munk. I first tried playing Sacred already with Underworld, and then specifically went to the shops trying to find Sacred 1.0 to try playing with random quests and all. Sadly, I believe that the PLUS patch already removed the features you mentioned, so maybe the best way to experience them is to play 1.0 as it was. Though maybe installing the patch is worth trying - just backup the savegames before it and re-install 1.0 if the patch would turn out to not be what you wanted.

As for the main campaing quest changes - I still remember how strange it was in Underworld, when the log for the very last main quest told you to visit Alcalata the Wise and consult him and other wizards about the best way to defeat Shaddar. But in fact you straightforwardly went to Shaddar-Nur and killed the mentioned evil mage. I wonder if the 4th Act was initially supposed to be longer than just one quest. (NOTE: this log text I talk about was in the russian version of Underworld, because our translators are lazy and kept the text from Sacred 1.0. In the english version the text was corrected to match the action.)

• Like! 1

The upsurper would- be- king, when you confront him in his palace, the old king's former digs, (he's tough to kill, too) old version Sacred; he can sometimes break into German language instead of English, even though I own the English version. Now, foreward to Gold underworld; he often breaks into German, instead of the English version of Gold I own....

Try to visualize a kid born after WW ll brought up on war movies with Japanese and German soldiers as bad guys. Yes, the world has changed, I got that. Glad too! But imagine the bells it rang when the villian in Sacred suddenly starts talking GERMAN when he's confronted at the end of the storyline! Reminds me of the cheesy SF movies where someone it trying to ressurect Hitler's brain, or old Nazis are trying to take over the world again. It took a long time for the pop culture of the West/world to get over it- and if you look closely, bad guys today in movies often still have a strong German flavor, going all the way back to WWll for their character stereotype.

I guess we might re-install Sacred 1.0 and see if any patch will help. I've also thought of taking the harddrive that used to hold it and see if it's possible to dig it back out with a recovery tool.

Edited by munk
  • Like! 1

I found an archieve with Sacred patch 1.7 (pre-patch to be installed before PLUS version). As I understand, it contains all patches for the original before transition to PLUS. You can get it HERE. Should work for any version.

Edited by Silver_fox

Will try- last night my poor 'genius' son spent four hours on trying and failed. The 32 bit security on the original sacred is a problem for later events. He tried a 'crack' several ways but failed. During this, we tried a 1.5 a 1.7 and then a 1.8 patch It is not clear to us if using 1.8 will erase orginal sacred and make Gold instead. We don't know- does anyone? Can you have Sacred, or Sacred plus and then add Underground without losing features, quests and several locations of original?

Here's a scary thought; We'd thought Gold had emitted several caves and quests because there wasn't room on the CD disks. But they could have been removed because of Bugs, being better to discard.

I don't know if the 1.7 patches he tried, at least one was for Sacred plus, is the one you have linked but will advise.

And thank you. I'd love to play the game the way it was at first.

We have; original Sacred 1.0 We had that patched, but as I said, from Sacred forum originally and can't recall if this contained underground by patches, we think it eventually did. We then had the first version of Gold, which was a DVD put out by Ascaron. When that developed a crack, we got two replacement disks, (in case one developed another crack) put out by a firm in England name of which I can't recall which held them under license. Got those on Amazone and may be only current Gold around. We also own the first pc Ascaron Sacred 2 disk set, and have the Xbox version as well.

Do I love Sacred or what?

I just wish I Hadn't erased the original Sacred when Gold came out by Ascaron; I thought they were the same. What a maroon I am.