Looking to convert - some preliminary questions

Guest Bef

I’m seriously considering converting to Mac OS X Tiger from Windows XP Professional, and have some preliminary questions to ask before I look at purchasing a copy.

Mainly my questions are with compatibility, so I will give some hardware information.

My Motherboard is an Intel Desktop Board (D915PWK) which originally was apart of a Packard Bell system.

2.93GHZ Intel Pentium 4 Processor.

Western Digital 160GB SATA.

3 x 512mb DDR2 RAM (1536mb)

PCIE – 128mb Radeon X300SE graphics card

PCI Slot 1 – Belkin 802.11g Wireless Card

PCI Slot 2 – Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value

I’d firstly like to ask the obvious; will Tiger run on this setup?

I also have a few questions to ask, after installing the wireless LAN and SBA2V, I naïvely disabled both onboard sound and onboard LAN in BIOS, and since then even with reverting to original settings or changing them both to enabled, neither work. I would like to know how to reset the BIOS so that they will again be functional, as I would prefer to have the option of using wired LAN if my wireless is not being effective.

On the MoBo the onboard LAN is called a “Pulse Jack – JW0A1P01R” if that is of any assistance.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Here is the best place for gaining info on Tiger osx86project

I really don't have any personal experiences on it. I tryed to install tiger on one of my spare computer but installation didn't finalize and it didn't gave me any error messages or something about what was wrong. Some of my friend had same problem like I did but some didn't had any problem at all with mac os last year. All been pleased so far except the one of them had problem with his 5.1 sound card setup after installation (as far as I remember). They said installation took very very long time, but os find every single driver on their system with no problem.

About you current computer's onboard lan and sound chip: Did you install your windows while those two disabled in your bios? or they were running before and you just disabled them because you didn't need them?

Go to your "System Properties", open "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Properties".

Check for the drivers for devices you disabled. Are drivers already installed? or they have a question mark in front of them? Do you have any un-identified drivers?

If you don't see your bios enabled devices on your devices list click on "Action" and select "Scan for hardware changes". It should find your additional hardware if it is still working. And just load the drivers for them to use it.

If you see the specific drivers for your devices, they should be operational. Just update the drivers if you have a never versions of it to give it a try.

It is kind of hard for me to explane thing with writings, I hope it is simple enough.

Good luck