svchost.exe

bhj

svchost.exe is using most of the CPU and a insane amount of RAM :sigh:

Did that sound familiar ? :drunkards: (thought so)

So what does it do ? and iam not talking about that its a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic link libraries (dll) no2.gif

But what does it REALLY do ? (what service(s) are running through / behind it :P

one way to find the answer to this is to

1. Click start on the windows taskbar and then click RUN

2. In the open box type cmd and then press ENTER

3. Type tasklist /svc and then press ENTER

you`ll get up the list of active services in each process

Another (better :drunkards: ) way is to download Process Explorer

Process Explorer v11.21

Introduction

Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? Now you can find out. Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.

The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you'll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer is in DLL mode you'll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.

The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work.

Process Explorer works on Windows 2000 SP4 Rollup 1 or above.

pida1.gif

pida2.gif

dl.gif

Download Process Explorer (1.6 MB)

• 4 weeks later...

Ah yes I have always wondered!

Nice tip bhj. In Vista I needed to open the Dos Prompt for it to work. If I try to RUN tasklist /svc then it just blinks the Prompt list on for a millisecond and blinks off. Great info and I'll certainly use this whenever suspicious of svchosts.

Hmmm not sure about Sacred 1 (uw) but Sacred 2 works just fine with it installed

yeah you might need to start with typing CMD in RUN before /svc to get it to stay open

Command line is superb... I had situations in past when I was forced to repair computer software using only commands :P Probably only people from 70. or 80. know how to do it :) Young persons probably don't know how DOS looks like and how using it ;) BTW... Norton Commander and Midnight Commander rlz :P

PS: That was my boyfriend xD

Edited by Pitunia