Getting the most out of my mobo

Pyrobelle

hey all you d.a.r.k tech heads,

im thinking about an upgrade but cant really afford to replace too many components so a new mobo would be out of the question.

thing is tho, im thinking I could get quite abit more performence out of my current mobo with some more RAM (and some fast RAM)

at the moment I have 3GB of very slow DDR2 333Mhz RAM and I can easily get my hands on 4GB of DDR2 1066Mhz RAM for 95AU$.

thing is tho im not sure what RAM is compatible with my current GIGABYTE GA-M52S-S3P(rev. 2.0) mobo. I've already sent my question to GIGABYTE but I still havn't heard anything from them.

was wondering if anybody knows much about GIGABYTE motherboards and could tell if faster DDR2 1066Mhz RAM will work on my mobo.

here is a link to the specs of my mobo.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2611

thks in advance for your help guys.

Pyro.

;)

EDIT: found some more info . . .

MEMORY

1. 4 DDR2 DIMM memory slots (supports up to 16GB memory)(Note 1)

2. Supports dual channel DDR2 800/667/533/400 DIMMs

3. Supports 1.8V DDR2 DIMMs

(Note 1) Due to the limitation of Windows 32-bit operating system, when more than 4GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory available for the operating system will be less than 4GB; Windows 64-bit operating system doesn't have such limitation.

looks as tho it only supports 800Mhz RAM. hmmm

Edited by gogoblender

Have you tried Crucial? WWW.Crucial.com. They have the memory configuator and a system scanner. When I entered your motherboard I got a couple of 1066 hits.

Like this one:

2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs), DDR2 PC2-8500 memory module

BL2KIT12864AL106A

Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)

Package: Ballistix Tracer 240-pin DIMM (with LEDs)

Feature: DDR2 PC2-8500

Specs: DDR2 PC2-8500 • 5-5-5-15 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-1066 • 2.0V • 128Meg x 64 •

thks for that link, very helpful.

looks as tho I can support it ut if I want to install more than 3GB I have to make sure im running a 64bit OS?

I didnt even know about that.

now whats a 64bits version of XP going to set me back?

;)

Windows 32 bit will recognize 4Gb but takes part of that away for its own use. You get about 3 and a quarter for your use. If you want more, 64 bit is the only remedy as of now.

The Memory support link shows the "QVL" - Qualified Vendors List -- memory that Gigabyte have tested and approved. I see some 1066 in the list, but not 2Gb modules. PC8500 is 1066, PC8400 is 800. Although memory not in this list may (and probably most will) work, this list gives a good idea of the general features of supported memory. I see an OCZ 1066 in the list (I have OCZ installed), but you would need 4 modules to get 4Gb. The only 2 Gb modules seem to be the GEIL and Micron, which look to be 800's.

It depends which version of the OS you want to get -- prices vary quite a bit between the "home", "professional" and "ultimate" varieties. I got Ultimate retail for about $225 (US). OEM, it's about $175. Lesser versions are going to be less (business OEM is $140 at newegg.com; home premium is $100; home basic is $90) and if you have a qualifying OS already, you might get an Upgrade for even less. Although I hate to install Microsoft upgrades. I prefer a clean install on an empty disk.

... at the moment I have 3GB of very slow DDR2 333Mhz RAM and I can easily get my hands on 4GB of DDR2 1066Mhz RAM for 95AU$.

if you have 32 bit operations system, I don't think you will get any extra (visible) performance if you upgrade to 4gb 1066mhz. It will do very minimal impact on your system. If you are not planning to upgrade your software to 64 bit (if you don't have fund for it), better keep your money in your pocket for future upgrades.

I'd still get the faster ram first. That will definitely be an improvement, and the available ram on a 32 bit OS should be enough unless you run a lot of stuff in the background.