Settings and PC not saved

Hi,

I've just re-installed my Sacred2 copy in my new brand computer. System is Win7, processor AMD64, old ATI graphics card (due to no funding for new one), admin permissions everywhere...

Everything installs and seems to run ok, but any of the options I change (such as graphics or gameplay) aren't saved when I shut down and start the game again. Moreover, characters are not saved either.

What I have found out is that no "Ascaron Entertainment" folder is created under my documents folder, which in Win7 is no longer "/Documents and settings/..." but "/Users/...", so it's the main suspicious thing for me. But I am worried to see anybody else reported such a bug but other issues with Win7, so I'm unsure on what's happening.

Any advice will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'll take a look to the file later when back at home, but I'm not very optimist. Anyway I keep my XP partition working in a corner of the HD, but of course I'd like to make work it in my "main" system. Thanks for your help.

PS: Btw, I've heard you needed some poetry for the wiki so... back here :P

Hi,

I've just re-installed my Sacred2 copy in my new brand computer. System is Win7, processor AMD64, old ATI graphics card (due to no funding for new one), admin permissions everywhere...

Everything installs and seems to run ok, but any of the options I change (such as graphics or gameplay) aren't saved when I shut down and start the game again. Moreover, characters are not saved either.

What I have found out is that no "Ascaron Entertainment" folder is created under my documents folder, which in Win7 is no longer "/Documents and settings/..." but "/Users/...", so it's the main suspicious thing for me. But I am worried to see anybody else reported such a bug but other issues with Win7, so I'm unsure on what's happening.

Hi and welcome back...

Actually... Microsoft axed the whole "Documents and Settings" thing and changed it to "Users". So that's like...normal. The Save game folder also moved somewhat. The Saved Games folder, along with most of the other sub-folders got promoted to the same level as the Documents folder. It should now be located in C:\Users\Saved Games\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2\... Less cluttered that way.

So, going by what you've posted, you're running as Admin - or as an administrator level account.. I made 2 changes to the shortcut I put on my desktop for Sacred 2 to make things easier to get to. Depending on what version I had installed, I changed the shortcut to run Sacred 2 in Windows XP SP3 compatability mode and to Run as Administrator. You can do this by right-clicking on the shortcut and selecting Properties and setting the appropriate check boxes on the Compatability tab. I did that for the US version. It has serious Windows 7 compatability issues.

When I switched to the DeepSilver UK version, and upgraded to Ice and Blood, and patched to 2.65.2, I left the XP SP3 thing off, but I still run it as Admin. Seems to work better that way.

Hey, thanks for your help wolfie2kX. I managed to find out about the "Saved games" folder (oh my... no comments) before reading the post, but thanks for making me understand it better. About the shortcut, my current config is XP compatibility on, run as admin off.

This looks like working now, so I'm not gonna change that, nor update to 1.65.2 (currently with 1.65.1). You know, if it ever begins to crash then I'll start making experiments! :P

Anyway I can't explain now this morning it didn't load/save my chars, as long as it was being executed with same setup (I didn't restart computer though, might be an explanation).

Btw, I modded the options.txt file to get by default my preferred video settings and other stuff, I'll try to confirm later on if the game can save properly any change I make there.

Thanks for your help & patience :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I tried to play sacred 2 on windows 7 and experianced loads of problems, like laggy movement, freezing-up and a few other things. The only thing I can think off, is Sacred 2 is not compatable with windows 7, its XP/VISTA. The game may run, but you will have problems, like what happened to me. I traded my windows 7 computer and reverted back to XP just to play sacred 2. I hope this helps. windows 7 and sacred 2 don't go.

I tried to play sacred 2 on windows 7 and experianced loads of problems, like laggy movement, freezing-up and a few other things. The only thing I can think off, is Sacred 2 is not compatable with windows 7, its XP/VISTA. The game may run, but you will have problems, like what happened to me. I traded my windows 7 computer and reverted back to XP just to play sacred 2. I hope this helps. windows 7 and sacred 2 don't go.

I have to disagree. On rare occasions, it takes a couple of tries to start, and it almost always crashes when I am shutting it down, but while it is running, it is as reliable as any Windows app. I know some people have issues, but it is too much to say Sacred 2 does not work on Win7.

• 2 weeks later...

I run Sacred 2 on Win7 for both my Laptop and my Desktop. My laptop runs it beautifully and I can play non-stop for hours on end. Not quite so lucky with my desktop but that's only cuz I have quad-core gpu's and Sacred 2 only recognizes and utilizes one core.

Just keep tweaking it, persistence will pay off.

Kiy