I have a question about the text in "red". I have no idea what its saying.

Say I get a relic or ring with "+2 bargaining" or "sword lore" I think it's called.

What does this mean when they are in red? I don't have either of these skills. Do I still get the benefit of them if I don't have those skills? Our characters only get to pick 10 individual skills, even if we level to 200, so I need to know this.

Also, shouldn't our characters always choose at least one "weapon skill" and one "armor" skill or whatever, since we only get to choose 10 skills total? I'm not worried right now, but when my character is a really high level and playing in higher difficulties, I would like my character to be able to dominate on platinum and not get owned.

2. secondly, my level 15 shadow warrior has 2 memorized runes into the buff grim resilience or whatever. I think I got an item (set item pretty sure) that gives +1 to the grim resilience buff. How do I know how much this improves the buff? I don't see it improving it any. How do I know exactly what it does? Does it mean the grim resilience buff gets an additional memorized rune or something.

Confusing questions I know. I'm just loving this game.

Ok, first, red mod's on items mean that you dont have the skill that they apply to, so +2 bargaining in red means you dont have it and therefore it wont benefit you unless you choose that skill.

Second, You probably should pick a weapon skill, melee (definitely) or not although the only main benefit to casters is the fact that they unlock certain modifications that some items have...like a sword requiring sword lore before it gives chance for open wounds as an example.

Third, by armour skills I assume u mean defensive skills and yes, take at least one with any character type, all of them do different things and if you want to know more about them then you can read here: Sacred 2 Skills

Finally, an item with a bonus to an ability increases its current level but doesnt count as reading a rune, which means its a higher level ability with a lesser regen penalty than reading one gives. If you open your combat art screen in the pc version and hover over the ability then it tells you the details for the current ability level and the next so u can use that for info

It's a good idea to choose Armor Lore, very important skill.

Other than that, it's up to you to decide whether you want a mix of offense/defense or not. It's recommended to have 3-4 defense-oriented skills for a solid build, though it depends on your character and whether you play softcore/hardcore.

If you think you'll survive decently based on the above, feel free to pick the rest of the skills to benefit your damage :)