Why skip out on a weapon skill?

I have been looking over abunch of character templates and I have noticed that people do not choose a weapon to go with there character that will be duelwielding weapons.

Instead they pick duel wield. Now I do know that taking duelwield will give you the same bonuses as picking lets say sword as a skill, but wont you lose out on all those buffs on the sword as you level up through the characters life? Im not sure if you have to have sword skill to use sockets in those swords as well.

Seems a bit confusing. Can anyone clue me in on why people skip thier main weapon skill that they will be using the entire life span of thier character and lose out on those buffs?

Hi and Welcome night drow :)

Most people skip a weapon lore when dual wielding for a few reasons

1. Your attack rating/speed is determined only by Dual Wielding when 2 weapons are equipped

2> Selecting a Weapon Lore will unlock mods on applicable weapons but remember by around level 70 you will start finding weapons the require the applicable Mastery to unlock (75 skill points). That's a lot of points just for a mod or two and those points could be better spent in other skills

Thanks for the welcome.

I see now why to skip out on a weapon skill lore now.

Im guessing that if I would take duelwield for the attack + and level to equip, there would be no speed penalty on the weapon since duelwield is taking over for that skill?

thanks

As well, if you're trying to build a pure magic build, instead of taking a wep lore which would steal points but perhaps make the wep hit more efficiently, not choosing to take a wep lore gives you more points to skills you think will be useful to a particular build.

Course...I say this but I'm gasping to take ranged lore for my all magic dryad, and almost a few times almost picked it!

must...re...sist...

:(

gogo

Thanks for the welcome.

I see now why to skip out on a weapon skill lore now.

Im guessing that if I would take duelwield for the attack + and level to equip, there would be no speed penalty on the weapon since duelwield is taking over for that skill?

thanks

Correct, and the DW attack speed bonus would also apply to weapons-based CAs (the equivalent for casting speed bonus on casting lores)