Battle Below Ground = unfinishable + 3 free hirelings?

(I play on the 360; not sure if the bug is 360-specific.)

In Chapter 1 (Light Side), I got a quest called Battle Below Ground. The questgiver gave me three guard hirelings and asked me to go into a dungeon and kill 3 Liches. When I went to the dungeon, I found myself in a black abyss with no way to move and a single red health bar in the distance (which I promptly made disappear :)). Eventually I found out that the only way to get out was to open the map and teleport elsewhere (the menus worked fine and the game was clearly not frozen... I was just stuck in the blackness).

I gave up on the quest and went about my business, to find that the hirelings are complete morons whose sole goal in life is to run towards red and press A until something dies (usually them unless I popped pots). Eventually I stopped healing them because I tire of babysitting stupid NPCs. I figured, with them dead, the quest would be Failed and I would move on. So I Leave game until the next day.

So I'm in Chapter 6 and the guys still greet me every time I start up the game and "Continue". Not even the grave is enough to stop these elves and their quest. I guess it's nice that I get three free hirelings who can't die whenever I want, but they're rather annoying and I still can't finish the quest (same blackness as before).

Beautiful Bug or Putrid Plague?

Edited by gogoblender