Doppelganger Knowledge?

claudius

Does anyone know anything much about the doppelganger?

1. Which should I pick Gruesome mod or Astute mod?

a. Is one a dud?

b. Is one a bosskiller and one Area of Effect?

c. Will the doppelganger be affected by my skills? If it is a gruesome doppel will my tactics lore and gruesome focus help the doppel?

d. Will the doppel be affected by my mods of CAs? If I have reverse polarity modded to reflect will my doppel also have that? Modded Levin for crits?

2. What do people think who used it as a spell?

3. What do people think who used it as a buff?

Thanks!

To answer your bullet points -

1: Neither of these mods make any noticeable difference in Doppelganger's attack pattern. What they actually do is double the effectiveness of his Gruesome Inquisition or Astute Supremacy attacks.

a/b: Both are technically duds, but I suppose if you had to pick one for being good against bosses, you should probably go with Gruesome Inquisition since the Astute Supremacy attacks are not very good for taking on bosses.

c: Ganger will still get the benefits of your skills. The game has a seperate skill chart for him that copies yours.

d: His spells will have the same mods as your own - as evidenced by the fact that in previous patch iterations, he would sometimes cast doppelganger on himself and his doppelgangers could be permanent.

2/3: Doppelganger is a buggy idiot - I strongly recommend that you do NOT use him unless you're lonely. He often does stupid things like standing still and continuously casting Purifying Chastisement on himself, regardless of whether or not he's actually a buff or spell. The fact that he counts as an extra life is somewhat helpful, but that effect only works in standard mode. In hardcore mode, it is disabled*

Oh, and his soul reaver will steal souls from YOUR kills, and he can also run off screen and kill monsters and you will not get any experience or drops (which is odd since the Sakara demon can do this and you will still get the drops and experience from his kills).

*This causes another problem because it pretty much makes the Astute Supremacy build less effective in hardcore mode. This is since it is heavily dependent on doppelganger being there to save your life in the event that you will inevitably get killed since the AS Inquisitor build is VERY squishy and doesn't have as nearly as much power in terms of long ranged capability compared to the Dryad, BFG seraphim or High Elf).