Damage conversion??

I have a question about damage conversion.

Say I have a weapon that hits for 300 damage normally. I put 30% damage conversion to Fire on the weapon. Does this just take 30% of the 300 and transform it to fire? So on an enemy strong vs fire I only do 200 damage then take out the physical mitigation of the mob, or does it add 100 fire damage on top of my physical damage?

I found a pair of gloves with +46% poison conversion on them and am wondering if this is a good way to go, because if an enemy is strong vs. poison I just don't get that extra damage, or if it will take away from my normal 300 damage in this instance.

It Will Not Reduce Your Total Damage Output, But It WOnt Raise It Either.

If YOu Have A Weapon That Is 100-150 Physical Damage, And You Find A 30% Poison Converter, You Will Still Do 100-150 Damage, But You Will Do 30-45 Poison, And 70-105 Physical.

-Jamie.

But if an enemy is resistant to poison, that extra 30-45 is for nothing, in a since reducing my overall damage because I have that item on. To get around this I swap out fire and magic weapons when one is being resisted, the other rarely is.

Right, But If The Enemy Isnt Resistant To It, Or Weak To It, Then It Somewhat Adds A Little Damage, And Also Factor In The DoT For Poison And Fire.

-Jamie.

if you check mobs as you fight you will notice the majority of the armor is physical.. so that is the worst damage to use.. it depends on where you want to level or VF on.. Fire is pretty universal as the strongest damage type, but I noticedx that dam% mod rings for the elementals are glitched and dont add to base dmg, the physical works fine... dunno about the straight dam% rings if they boost elemental;s.. gonna check