Is Spell Resistance Working Now? (PC Version - Latest Patch)

Spell Resistance stops CAs. So... test it against a niob boss.

Use a character with one last skill not picked. Export it (once you have the Ice & Blood Expansion which is only 2 weeks away {I hope!}).

Fight the boss with an observer who counts how often the boss is able to use it's CA. And by that I mean don't just kill the boss. Make the fight last. I guess taunting would be the right verb. :) If you stay at range, it will use it's ranged CAs / spells on you more often.

'Fight' 10 times.

Tally the total.

Then take Spell Resistance skill. Max it out. (Shopper will help of course).

'Fight' the fights again. Count the number of Combat Arts used.

If the boss has too high of ability, try a run-of-the-mill champion.

I personally feel that Spell Resistance has been with us since Sacred 1. Remember how hard it was to affect Dragons with split? (Happened only once that I heard of).

Edited by FrostElfGuard
Spell Resistance stops CAs.

No. Spell Resistance (the stat) gives you a chance to partially reduce the damage a CA/Spell does (I think it reduces it by 30%). The attackers Spell Intensity is compared to the defenders Spell Resistance & the usual attack/defence calc is run to see if the attacker "wins". If the defender wins, the spell damage is reduced by ~30% & then applied to armour/damage mitigation/etc. If the attacker wins that step is ignored & the damage is sent straight to the armour/damage mitigation/etc.

Spell Resistance (the skill) increases the chance that the defender will "win" by the % stated on the tooltip.

You can see the effect of Spell Intensity/Resistance in normal combat, find a monster with high HP, low resistance, use your Spell lots & you should see instances where your CA does lower damage (due to "failing" the spell int/resist check). You could try this in (Open) PvP to test the Spell Resistance skill (using the blank level 200 characters).

Still. You can test against a hard hitter...hmm.

Crit gets in the way, doesn't it?

So. You have to monitor incoming damage (you still need a partner for that...or 2. One to call it out, another to record it, the third person plays the character).

Damage should be like this: spell resisted damage (low) ---min to max of weapon/attack

regular damage (min to max)

crit damage (min to max)

So. I'm guessing the only way to do this is going to be PvP. That way you can control/see the damage dealers damage. Also, you can control the hit rate etc...

PvP is the way to go!

So. You have to monitor incoming damage (you still need a partner for that...or 2. One to call it out, another to record it, the third person plays the character).

Spells are easier to deal with, since they usually have a single damage figure (unlike weapons which have min/max). So you should see ~4 (or so) damage figures - "normal" damage (no crit, no spell resist/intensity check modifier), low damage (due to Spell Resistance kicking in), higher damage (crits, possibly a range depending on whether crits have a single multiplier or a range) & slightly-less-higher-damage (Spell Resistance & crit at the same time).

Damage should be like this: spell resisted damage (low) ---min to max of weapon/attack

Not quite sure what you're talking about Frostie, either you're dealing with weapon-based attacks (including weapon-based CAs) where Spell Resistance has no effect, or you're dealing with "Spells" (ie, CAs that use Spell Intensity/Spell Resistance), and spells (IIRC) don't have a damage range).