Role Reversal

I have two favorite characters:

-- a ranged Dryad, similar to Chrona's build: all DEX, finder/shopper, almost no defensive skills, high-speed hunter combo, occasionally has to use vines on bosses, predator/bark. Around level 58, silver SP, in the desert.

-- a melee tank TG, along the same lines as Llama8's: VIT/STR, lots of defensive skills, almost entirely left-click, passive battle extension, aura/shroud. About level 35 (?), silver SP, in the swamp.

You'd think the dryad would be a glass cannon (or machine gun), and the TG would survive everything unscathed -- but it's the other way around.

The TG will plow through mobs like a hot knife through butter, but often takes huge hits when not on his wheel -- he was killed by the first dragon boss, and I've lost count of how many times he *almost* died.

The Dryad has never died (but did lose a mount once), but takes as many as 5 shots to kill some normal enemies. Granted, she *does* have the broken Mother Bear's Favorite distracting stuff for her, which has helped for part of a couple of boss fights.

Gear-wise, the Dryad has superior armor, and a blowpipe that does +22 leech but not a lot of base damage. The TG has 3 set items but otherwise not so great armor, but has a sword that does more base damage than the Dryad's blowpipe despite the level difference.

The Dryad's high survival bonus is probably also working against her a bit.

Both builds are fun to play, but I wonder if I can't do something for the Dryad's damage output...

Hi Dave

Big Dryad fan here. What kind of armor are you wearing, and what's in your sockets now? I'm working on a Heavy Damage Dryad build currently, and have really squeezed some fun numbers out of the jungle girl, as the point of the build is to effect a one-hit kill with Darting Assault. Course, she's a Zero-Utility build, so having more offensive skills on my sides help...but maybe I can help with your damage as well.

:)

gogo

I would agree with gogo on getting some more damage; have any good rings/amulets equipped? ;3

It's amazing how well TGs can slaughter everything, once you get them going. We've got one in this household who's pretty much a tank, but we've also buffed up the Deathly Spears CA up to the point where it goes out 2 or 3 times, so when guys surround him, they get picked off fast~!

Good luck with getting these two farther along, and remember that even the blacksmith "runes" can help out with damage/armor ;3

~Jaggy

As it turns out I was misremembering, and my Dryad was 48, not 58. But I played her to about 54ish last night.

Between picking up a slightly better blowgun (more damage, but no leech), getting Combat Discipline, and swapping out a couple of rings, things are dying faster. I'm mostly killing with my RI/DA combo (which is now at 1.8 seconds mounted) and only taking single shots, if any, in between. A single click of the combo will kill most champions, though the bigger scorpions in the desert are sturdier than that.

Against bigger things I'm finally using vines (still unmodded so far) and spamming an RI-only combo. Works nicely.

The last skill choice I haven't made yet is probably going to Armor Lore. None of my items right now actually show any Armor Lore unlocks, but it'll still be useful eventually I imagine. :thumbsup:

Ancient Bark is probably why your Dryad isn't getting a kicking from monsters.

Oh, that's so true! Ancient Bark is fantastical for reducing damage. Especially if you get it buffed up a bit ;3

I've eaten a fair amount of bark runes and it's gold-modded, so yeah, that's probably it. I occasionally start taking damage in the orc cave, but I don't have to worry much in typical fights unless I catch on fire.

But those Fen Fires in the jungle are NASTY; I'm surprised they didn't kill me. They'd be offscreen (even though I've changed my camera settings to zoom out farther), be aiming for the bear, the graphics wouldn't reach me, and yet they still knock off half my life before I can blink. I think my last skill choice is going to be Spell Resistance rather than Armor Lore.

But those Fen Fires in the jungle are NASTY; I'm surprised they didn't kill me. They'd be offscreen (even though I've changed my camera settings to zoom out farther), be aiming for the bear, the graphics wouldn't reach me, and yet they still knock off half my life before I can blink. I think my last skill choice is going to be Spell Resistance rather than Armor Lore.

No, you should definitely take Armour Lore, that'll give you a lot of extra resistance which will reduce the damage those Fen Fires do & allow you to sue higher level armour.