Regen level without penalty

I have 96 soft points in delphic arcania focus (and 43 hard points). According to the tooltip, my maximum CA level without penalty should be level 46. But I had Grand Invigoration at level 43 and just ate another rune and the CA level went to 43.8 instead of 44.

By the way, is there a "permanent" penalty for eating more runes than the maximum level without penalty? Say for example, I start a new game and eat 10 runes, then pump da focus up to a level where my maximum CA level without penalty is 10. Will I now have less than level 10 because I got a "penalty" for eating more runes than I should have earlier?

Asked another way, is there any reason to wait on eating more runes than the "penalty" level until you have as many points in the CA focus as you want to have?

This is confusing. Thanks for your help.

No, there's not a permanent penalty. Sacred 2 takes your total level of a CA (runes read + item bonuses) & then reduces that based on your character level & Focus skill level to give you an effective CA level (this is the one with the decimal point), as either/both of those increase so does your effective CA level.

So if you've "eaten" 50 runes & have another +10 from gear giving you a level 60 CA, but your Focus skill says that you have a max level of 50, you might only get an effective CA level of 54.5. As you then level up or increase your Focus skill, that 54.5 will increase until it hits 60 (then it stays at 60 until you use more runes or get a higher bonus to the CA from your items).

No, there's not a permanent penalty. Sacred 2 takes your total level of a CA (runes read + item bonuses) & then reduces that based on your character level & Focus skill level to give you an effective CA level (this is the one with the decimal point), as either/both of those increase so does your effective CA level.

So if you've "eaten" 50 runes & have another +10 from gear giving you a level 60 CA, but your Focus skill says that you have a max level of 50, you might only get an effective CA level of 54.5. As you then level up or increase your Focus skill, that 54.5 will increase until it hits 60 (then it stays at 60 until you use more runes or get a higher bonus to the CA from your items).

Thanks. That's reassuring that there's no permanent penalty.

I still don't understand this though unless there's a tooltip display bug:

"I have 96 soft points in delphic arcania focus (and 43 hard points). According to the tooltip, my maximum CA level without penalty should be level 46. But I had Grand Invigoration at level 43 and just ate another rune and the CA level went to 43.8 instead of 44." Do only "hard points" count to increas max ca level without penalty (I had 43 hard points in the example).

one of the experts can answer this better than me but the reason not to over do your runes would be excess regen penalty I think. ( doesn't effect grand invigoration though). on console I have noticed the same thing. I can never get to focus level. penalty kicks in before the " level without penalty" number in focus.

I thnk there might have been a bug in an earlier build (ie, un-fixed on the consoles) that cause the CA level penalty to kick in too early, since it's not an issue (and hasn't been for some time) on the PC.

So, basically for determinging your max ca level without penalty, it doesnt matter if you have hard points or soft points in the focus skill - both contribute to max ca level without penalty? Thanks.

If you are playing on the console then it is likely the *mastery* display bug that is hurting you. The tooltips are messed up in that they display values reflecting what the skills bonuses will be once masterd if your soft +hard points >= 75 but you only get the benefits shown once you get hard points to 75 or greater.