Temple guardian mod/skill pick help

ka243

Hi Guys,

Playing on X360.

I thought the boss killer TG build looked quite cool but I wonder about which mods to pick on some CAs as this is my first experience with TG and energy shields and I have no idea. I want to try to beat niob at the earliest level possible because that is fun to me.

What's the deal with the battle extension and DB Mods and this active slot stuff? For example, if I choose hydraulics and efficiency, will they increase my weapon damage and reduce regen for all cas when battle extension is in the active slot?

How to mod T-energy shroud?

Bronze: Damage or more shield - the question is if I have enough mitigation, perhaps I won't need the extra shield?

Silver: Regen in combat or dampening - I heard regen in combat does not regen very much. The use I see is if the shield goes down, it could reactivate the buff = damage and weaken chance - without me having to recast it:) Which is the better choice here? Is dampening really all channel damage mitigation or something else?

Gold: More shield will block more all around damage - the last guardian doesn't have that many "spells" (maybe)? - but if I get my mitigation high enough I won't need the extra shield values and reflecting back to monsters will help me kill them faster? I might have a hard time getting to 100% Mitigation if I don't use modded jolting touch in this build?

I'm thinking Force, Dampen, Reflection or Force

Combat Alert: Assault, Riposte

Dedicated blow: Bedazzle (?), confident, enforce. I'm thinking that if I have one weapon per damage type and I know what bosses/areas are least resistant to what elements, transformation would be a waste?

Deathly Spears:Batter, Singe, Jab

Fiery Ember: Incinerate, Churn, Sustain

Primal mutation: Theurgy, helpless, helpless

Charged Grid: Havoc, Unnatural selection, Longevity

Here are the skills I'm thinking of:

Tactics

Armor

Devout Focus

Fusion Focus

Warding Energy lore

Sword Lore (for hit chance and combo execution speed)

Combat Discipline

Concentration

Toughness

Last choice is tough: Fusion Lore, Constitution, or maybe take both and drop concentration

I want 11 skills, help :).

Combos I would use would be:

- Fiery Ember, Charged Grid (combo to reduce regen and add execution speed)

- Deathly Spears (in a combo to reduce regen)

- Combat alert by itself or Combat Alert/Primal mutation for bosses

- Dedicated blow (in a combo to reduce regen)

Mount: Shield regen mount?

Plan to have it setup like this:

Just t-shroud initially, Keep combat alert as a castable unless regen times get really low later then consider making it a buff

Ok I think I can help with some of this.

The battle extension and dedicated blow passives work only on regular weapon attacks. The modifications to these CAs only have an effect on the execution of the CA and not the passive bonus.

I tend to mod my T-energy shroud for power - recharge - power. I like to see a very large number for my shield energy. I pick recharge for the silver mod because otherwise the shield does not start recharging for 5 seconds after combat is over which can feel like an eternity between groups of enemies. The other mods are actually very good and you can't go wrong picking those instead.

I mod Combat alert for increased defense and reflect. If you convert to a buff you will lose 1/2 of the bonus the CA provides so I do not recommend that unless you really, really hate recasting.

Either of your final skill choices would be good. I use constitution in my builds instead of toughness but I am a high hp junkie.

I would use the shield regen mount.

Have fun!

Edit: I took a DG TG all the way through Niob on xbox and TG became my favorite class because of it.

Edited by Ansgar

Thanks ansgar. What's your tg build, are you using lost fusion or DG only. What level did you finish niob? Good to know the mods don't work in passive mode.

How do you recommend modding battle extension and/or dedicated blow and which one is more useful?

For the silver mod, zinsho said something like that there are 2 types of shield regen: the amount you get from the silver mod which is the only type that works in combat and your basic shield regen which only works out of combat but never works in combat even if you have the shield regen in combat mod. He seemed to recommend the mitigation silver mod because the amount of shield regen you can get in combat is so low and the other type of shield regen which is much higher does not work in combat. That's kinda hard to get my head around but I think that's how I understood it. If that's right the mitigation silver mod would be better especially with toughness.

The reason I considered toughness over constitution was that from what I read, 100% mitigation seems to be relatively easy to obtain with the TG as long as you have armor and toughness and Warding lore? If 100% mitigation cannot be obtained easily, perhaps more health is better. I dunno.

Edited by ka243

My xbox build is DG only. I do have SW focus to raise the level of untouchable force. For offense I use battle extension passives and deathly spears while being buffed by castable combat alert and protected by T energy shroud. I also have untouchable force buff to do some stunning.

I do not use dedicated blow or battle extension actuall executions much at all. Sometimes I use dedicated blow when I am unmounted in caves (modded for increased elemental damage conversion) to get one shot kills of normal mobs or when I do not have the proper element socketed in my weapon for the enemies that I am currently fighting.

I do not use the cast of battle extension at all so the modifications don't really matter to me (they do not affect the passive bonus) but I modify it from double hits for when I activate it accidentally.

Zinsho is correct that the damage mitigation mod is overall a better mod especially at higher levels because you cannot boost the amount of in combat regen very much at all. Because I have a large hp pool from constitution and vitality I do not boost the absorbance of the shield to 100% so the incoming damage is shared (60:40) between my large energy shield and my large hp pool. I can rely on in combat shield regeneration and in combat health regeneration (from constitution mastery) to help keep both topped off against all but the very hardest hitters.

I finished Niob with this build at level 135 if I remember correctly. He is currently level 145 I think (been playing PC version more recently).

Achieving 100% mitigation is pretty gear dependant so you may want to have a dedicated shopper or EP character to help with the hunt.