Do you rinse your pasta?

This is important  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rinse your pasta?

• Yes
    • No
    • It depends

Another marinara tip is not to stir it when it is simmering... Mario Batelli said that.. I think it makes some of the tomato stuff get sweeter. I don't usually add sugar anymore..

Of course you stir at some point. Just the hour it simmers and thickens.

Oh I'll put a brief pasta sauce crash course...

2 small onions or 1 large

3 cloves garlic

1/2 green pepper (optional)

1/2 - 1 jar roasted red peppers (optional)

1/2 pound sausage or 3/4 pound ground beef (optional)

1/2 - 1 jar olives (optional)

container of mushrooms sliced (optional)

28 oz can tomato sauce

16 oz can tomatoes whole (tear up yourself and liquid)

16 oz can diced tomatoes (and liquid)

small can tomato paste

Tablespoon Basil

Tablespoon Italian Spices

2 Bay Leafs

water or wine (maybe)

Fresh Parsley diced 1/4 cups (optional)

salt to taste

sugar to taste to cut acidity.

Heat LARGE skillet or pasta pot to medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sautee the coursely chopped onions for 5-8 minutes. And optional peppers with onions if you use. If you are adding optional (You definitely DONT need ALL the optional things but at least one makes a difference) meat then add this and brown. Use lean meat or else do in separate pan and pour off grease then add to main pan with SOME of the grease. If you add optional shrooms add them and sautee until they look like they absorbed olive oil. If pan goes dry add more olive oil. Ok you taste the onions now and see if they are sweet a bit. Before adding liquids add the garlic (minced).. When you smell garlic add the liquid things. Then add the tomato cans and liquid. Tear up whole tomatos (take off shirt unless you get skills like me). Add tomato paste. Add optional jarred things if they not added yet. Add spices. Stir. Turn down and establish at a stable simmer. When stable just let it simmer like an hour. Add water if it gets too thick or wine. If you add parsley dice it before you cut the heat and add. Remove Bay leaves if you see them.

You can freeze 2 ziplocks and have sauce for a meal. Add salt to taste. Add sugar if its too acidic.

White sauce

heat 1 stick of butter. On medium heat melt. Add 1/4 cup of flour. Stir in until it makes a paste and cook until blond. Add 3 cups of milk. Heat on a bit past medium whisking. When it bubbles keep whisking until it gets thicker. Add 1 1/2 - 2 tsp salt and 1 or 2 tsp freshly ground pepper. 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional).

With these 2 sauces you can layer some pasta with the different sauces but don't mix the red with the white do in layers. It can make a delicious baked ziti..

Edited by claudius
  • 2 weeks later...

holee molee, Claudius is our secret site chef... I think we have a team now ^^

And, Rusto, I'm glad you loved the series...I've fallen in love with his style. He says it as it is....course all the "fancy" chefs disown him :crazy:

Youtube is gettin hard on videos trade mark and all...but for now..here's Tony doin his best :

The perfect omelet, the perfect pasta and sauce (Poor guy's loosing his voice )

:P

gogo