Vid card upgrade

Furian67

I'm looking to buy A new Vid card and want to know what y'all think betwee these two.

BFG- nvidia geforce gts 250 oc 1gb gddr3 pci express

or

BFG- nvidia geforce 9800 gt 1gb gddr3 pci express

Are you set on type and brand? (Nvidia and BFG, that is.)

Because ATI's cards are quite a strong product at the moment.

Do you have prices for the two?

Not set on these as a brand. It just happens to be at bestbuy where I live. The gts 250 is about $189 and the 9800 about $150. I want to get a good card under $200 that in 2 months time I don't want to be saying " dang I wish I would have bought XXX"

OK, I know it's a bit of a hassle but if you have the time, please write up on some more model names.

I'm in a bit of a hurry right know so I can't check a website or anything, but if there are alternatives there like an ATI HD4870 or HD4850 going round those prices I'd recommend those: IIRC, these are cards superior to the Nvidia cards you've mentioned.

Are you set on type and brand? (Nvidia and BFG, that is.)

Because ATI's cards are quite a strong product at the moment.

Do you have prices for the two?

Not set on these as a brand. It just happens to be at bestbuy where I live. The gts 250 is about $189 and the 9800 about $150. I want to get a good card under $200 that in 2 months time I don't want to be saying " dang I wish I would have bought XXX"

I don't remember when I was shopping in bestbuy last time :)

buy it online and save tons of money. I recommend newegg.com

you could find decent card under $200 and you don't need to pay tax for it, and most cases it is free shipping.

check this table for comparing graphic cards

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-g...ard,2118-7.html

4870 prices from newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....archResult=True

The hard part is that Furian has a Dell Inspiron 530s computer which is a low prfile case. not that many cards out there. The best ATI I can find is this one:Asus

Or a GeForce like this one: Geforce

than 9800 gt it is. Not many options for the low profile. When the chip gets stronger, cooling become a problem on low profile GPUs.

The GPU brand can also depends on what you do with your card except playing. If you use mainly openGL based programs such as blender3D, nVidia is the best choice, because ATI doesn't even consider working around their openGL issues and only rely on DirectX technology. As a blender3D user, I always choosed nVidia GPUs, until my last card, an HD4670, low cost, but powerful ATI Card (builtin hdmi, dvi, vga, silent cooling, bought for €70 in France). This could be a paradox, but I'm not into 3D modeling anymore :P. Your screen size can also be a criteria. I personnaly owns a 17" flat panel, so 1280x1024 is the best resolution I can get from it, so no need for a FullHD card such as a GTX285. If you plan to play on a flat panel TV in full HD via HDMI output, then choose a really high end card to handle the lastest games. GTX285 seems so be a nice choice, or a HD serie from ATI. Generally speaking, ATI is cheaper than nVidia, this is and has always been.