Blockchance combat arts

I wondered why our Sohei build was never debuffed by the white griffon in platinum and niob. The debuffing from the griffon is a combat art, so I thought that runes of protection modified for combat art block would be the reason. The chance is shown as 48.5% for it. We have a bit more than 10% on the sohei's equipment, but never seeing any debuff at below 60% chance was a bit strange.

I was already thinking that runes of protection would have another effect which is not shown in the tooltipp, like the 220% it adds to defense value at my 68.3 runes. But this effect is at least shown under the sigma sign, but a higher blockchance than the 48.5 isn't.

Then I thought it might be my mindstrike which has a chance to reduce combat art regeneration of an enemy, so I asked my daughter to use another spell: still no debuffs. She turned off runes and used just mindstrike and got debuffed.

I pressed F, moved on the combat art, and saw something ( I have german version) combat art extra effects: chance to block combat arts 8.8%. I turned runes on and this effect jumped to 99.8%. !?!

This is more than runes and equipment added. Now I wonder how this extra effect works:

Is it the way that every time a spell hits its target the target's attempt to finish a combat is interrupted with a 99.8% chance?

Or is each spell hit having a 99.8% block chance for a little while?

How will spells with DoT do this extra effect thing?

Which spells will do it? It seems all, not only mentalist ones for the dragon mage, even the maelstream lists it.

Are there other classes with it:

Elf : checked so far only the elf: it has blockchance spells. But crystal skin has Combat Art reflect, so no synergy. I have to admit that I forgot to try expulse magic in my 15 minutes playing yesterday. I was already at work when I thought about it.

Dryad: no tests yet, but it is possible to modify dust devil for Combat Art-Block

Could the reason that our beloved Sohei plays so save is a feature? It is an RpT-Build which fires a mindstrike from a distance, approaches, recharges with a left click weapon hit and does the next mind strike. Mind strike is modified for area effect and better slowing of regeneration of the targets. Obviously I was able to approach in the time they were combat art blocked/slowed, then a quick left click and another mindstrike to block/slow them again.

Debuffers were the most feared enemies for me playing hardcore. But seeing how the sohei, probably every dragon mage, seems to be able to avoid this is nearly a bit too easy.

Edited by chattius

I was firing cobalt strikes from inside some stacked expulse magic circles and pressing F and then moving mouse on combat art: showed 200 something % to block spells as an extra to cobalt strike. Expulse magic was modified to block spells.

So now I wonder if it is same for dryads with a dust devil modified to block spells. Do their spells do this too while casting from inside?

Are totems spells? Do totems hits have block spell effect if you stand inside a dust devil ?

Could you possibly post a pic of the relevant "extra effect", I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Chance to Block: Combat Arts means that when an opponent uses a Combat Art that would effect you, the Combat Art "fails". The Undead Prince's Expulse Magic Combat Art is a very good example, when he casts it, most Combat Arts will "fail", so if you cast Meteor Storm on him directly your HE will go through the casting animation & the Combat Art will start to regenerate, but the graphic won't happen & no damage will be done.

Do you mean a picture what is displayed when I move my mouse on the combat art part of the menu which appears when I press 'F' ?

Or do you mean a picture of an enemy after I hit it with a spell ehich has this shown effect? (I saw no visible effect other that somehow I wasn't debuffed in 40+ griffons in niob). I try to do picture if something is shown if it is the this what you want.

If you have a mage with expulse magic modified to block Combat Art, do some expulse, stand inside the circles, press F, move your mouse pointer on the combat art and you should see block chance spells/Combat Art below the shown damage. Swap combat arts while the expulse are active. The Block chance should be displayed on all spells.

The bit that said "I pressed F, moved on the combat art, and saw something ( I have german version) combat art extra effects: chance to block combat arts 8.8%. I turned runes on and this effect jumped to 99.8%. !?!"

Though I'm thinking that it might be the bit that gives the Combat Art mods (perhaps?).