A little Pre-grind snack...Pittsburgh Poutine

You did something wrong. In the last picture from the first post, the cheese in some spots is melted but there is no gravy covering it. The cheese is not supposed to melt until the warm sauce comes in contact with it. Did you broil your cheese?

No the Fries were still hot out of the fryer. Should they be cooled. Also it wasn't fresh curd, but grated white cheddar.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this picture just gave me atherosclerosis.

kapsalon400.jpg

Digg this, then.

It's a new Dutch snack, called "kapsalon", though the name has got nothing to do with any ingredients.

kapsalon (de ~ (m))

hairdresser's (the ~), hairdresser's saloon (the ~)

It's composed of the following:

- Fries

- Shoarma / Döner

- Garlic sauce

- Cheese

- Lettuce (and non-standard versions can have other vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes as well)

Tasted a bit of it once, was pretty nice.

Ate a big one once, yacked 3 times from it. Now I get nauseous when I see it... :D

Edited by Timotheus
You did something wrong. In the last picture from the first post, the cheese in some spots is melted but there is no gravy covering it. The cheese is not supposed to melt until the warm sauce comes in contact with it. Did you broil your cheese?

No the Fries were still hot out of the fryer. Should they be cooled. Also it wasn't fresh curd, but grated white cheddar.

The fries shouldn't be hot to the point that the cheese burns on it. They should be at a temperature about the equivalent of a couple minutes' sitting on a counter, if they're coming straight out of hot oil, or something near the temperature where you could eat them without burning your mouth. The gravy should be hot, though, and that will keep the fries hot, just a bit over too hot at the core of the pile, if the gravy flows well enough between the fries to reach the bottom of the plate, and if you're serving the whole thing fresh.

In grated form, the cheese should soften to an almost liquid state and mix with the sauce over time, so at the end of the meal there would be some cheesy gravy left on your plate. In that case, the dregs of sauce would be brownish with long, stretched white stripes of cheese following the direction the sauce flowed in as you ate.

ha

Luclain, you big poutine snob :D I'll say something about Mcd's Poutine... I stopped ordering it a while back. Yeah the price was okay.... but it wasn't as cheap as I think I was expecting it to be. And yeah, it always seems like there is a decent amount of cheese on it...but it's weird cheese. Not grainy...and they are very skilled these Mcd's employees...they always put that plastic cap on which super-seals in the steam...by the time I get the poutine out the door, the cheese globs ( oh wait, was that curds? :)) Have melted into a yellow runny kind of cheese gravy, not at all the kind of consistency I am looking for with my poutine.

All about the squeak!

(Aw... Ari, we need you! :D)

:)

gogo

it's weird that you guys call fries Chips & chips Crisps :( ahwell every culture has its things ^^.

Yes indeed I have this problem in France chips are pommes frites and crisps are chips. Perhaps that's why the Brits are wary of the EU...they don't want to be forced to ask for "fish and pommes frites please" Doesn't sound quite right (to me)

P.S. Anyone calls me a "guy" had better not try any funny stuff on Nov.5th. :D

Language problems....tricky in this forum. :)

P.S. Anyone calls me a "guy" had better not try any funny stuff on Nov.5th. :(

Language problems....tricky in this forum. :)

While "guy" is generally accepted as a familiar male person. As of recent years it has become widely used in the states as slang language for "friend or Mate" and "you guys" is quite often used in mixed gender groups to mean " my friends".

:D

Sorry Loco - yes I know that. Just stirring the Poutine a bit. It's my corny sense of humour - maybe Nov.5th doesn't mean anything over there. "Guy" has a number of different meanings in English English, and anyway I was miles off thread. :drunkards:

Edited by Bondbug
Sorry Loco - yes I know that. Just stirring the Poutine a bit. It's my corny sense of humour - maybe Nov.5th doesn't mean anything over there. "Guy" has a number of different meanings in English English, and anyway I was miles off thread. :drunkards:

Ah yeah tricked me! just showing my lack of international culture experience! :drinks: NP

You will get plenty of international culture experience in this kitchen, believe me.

On thread I am still waiting to illustrate the making of curds, but we can't get rennet here, and our home cheese making has come to a dead stop. :)

OK Llama. That's it. I'm on my way with the hatchet.

Only problem....I don't know where you are, and in any case I couldn't afford the fare.

But just you watch out.....Grrrr! :)

You'll be sorry if I have a heart attack.............won't you?

• 2 months later...

Man I love this site... this whole thread cracks me up ... makes me hungry too! You know what I need? I big, juicy hamburger!

100_4017.JPG

Yum! :)

(Although 100 pounds of hamburger may be a bit much for my appetite...)

Edited by Scrappy McSlap
Oh... and keeping in spirit of the thread, here's your requisite shot of poutine:

originalpoutinelabanquise.jpg

wow

beautiful

Its breakfast here but you got a huge growl out of my stomach Scrappy

that's handsome poutine

gogo

That's a heartattack waiting to happen ;) or at least an evening above the toilet due to over-eating .....

Ya, the restaurant that serves these things gives out awards and stuff for breaking records... a guy just broke the record for eating a 15 pound hamburger in 4 hours and 39 minutes. Not sure what he gets for his award, but hopefully it includes a package of toilet paper and a free cab ride home... poor guy. Haha! :P

What the hell.....:)!

2u8eyk4.jpg

From the photo description:

"Four types of sausage, bratwurst, chorizo, ground beef, ground pork, diced ham, Canadian bacon, pepperoni, hickory smoked bacon, hot cappy, queso blanco, provolone and sharp cheddar, wrapped in sausage, bacon and cheese ball dough and baked. Then decorated with American, cheddar squeeze cheese and bacon strips."

Good gawd... I think I just felt an artery clog! :)

What the hell.....?!

"Four types of sausage, bratwurst, chorizo, ground beef, ground pork, diced ham, Canadian bacon, pepperoni, hickory smoked bacon, hot cappy, queso blanco, provolone and sharp cheddar, wrapped in sausage, bacon and cheese ball dough and baked. Then decorated with American, cheddar squeeze cheese and bacon strips."

Good gawd... I think I just felt an artery clog! :)

That just put the Holos Burger to shame!

That last food item shown is a game breaker. I'm worried now if some poor hapless fool will read this thread, make the food then eat it and die.

Do we need insuranc? Can we be sued? ^^

I want to return to that sweet compelling pic of the cheese curds and fries... I have pretty much looked at poutine pix all over the planet now...but that is simply the best I"ve seen. Mention of this being made to a special restaurant with timed eatings ? I had read somewhere about a restaurant that does this for guiness book maybe ...is this the restaurant?

gogo