Changing officer's sabre model

Sankekur

I was never really fond of officer's sabre in terms of how it looks, so I desided to change it to somthing else that looks better for me. So I changed it to look like the sabres that the seraphim use. The results, before and after:

before.jpgafter.jpg

To do this, go the scripts/shared dir in the Sacred 2 intall dir. Make a backup of the file itemtype.txt. Then in the itemtype file search for l_saebel-c1.GR2, the first instance should be around line 201209 and the line should look as follows:

name		 =  "models/weapons/1h/l_saebel-c1.GR2",

change this to:

name		 = "models/heroes/seraphim/sets/mystique/c_mystiquesword-1h.GR2",

alternatively you could use any model of your choosing (preferably weapons to overwrite weapons though :xmastree: ). The models for the weapons can be found in the \pak\graphics05.zip\models\weapons directory (also in the sacred 2 install dir). In order to find the model of the weapon you like you will need to be able to view the model files, this can be done with Granny Viewer. First find the model of the weapon you would like to change, search for the file name of the weapon in the itemtype.txt file, then find the model of the weapon you'd like to use, and overwrite the instance in the itemtype file with the location and name of the new model.

This only changes the model used for the item, the stat of the weapon and the icon will remain as before.

And remember to backup.

Great info. :xmastree:

Oh this gets me thinking about going one step further. Substituting existing weapons with a model that was created in a 3D app like Blender. It would be awesome if we had a walkthrough to do that. Would you happen to know the steps to do that Sanekekur?

Great info. :)

Oh this gets me thinking about going one step further. Substituting existing weapons with a model that was created in a 3D app like Blender. It would be awesome if we had a walkthrough to do that. Would you happen to know the steps to do that Sanekekur?

I've actually thought about the same thing, not with weapons though, I wanted to take sophia's armour appart and see if I could make it into the different pieces so that any seraphim could wear it.

The problem thought is not in getting the models out

sophia.jpg

Its the getting back into gr2 format thats the problem.

As I have been unable to find a converter that converts to gr2 format.

So if anyone knows of one please share (preferably stand-alone, as I don't own 3DMax, Maya or the like :D )

I'm really out of my league here...but the wireworks for the seraphim loox awesome, and it's just amazing to think you're trying to change some of the equipment models.

Impressive

K, I'll run off now and celebrate Christmas while you two keep creating

:)

gogo

p.s. hmmm is it possible to change a weapon to anything? Like a toaster or a Blender?

I'm really out of my league here...but the wireworks for the seraphim loox awesome, and it's just amazing to think you're trying to change some of the equipment models.

Impressive

K, I'll run off now and celebrate Christmas while you two keep creating

:D

gogo

p.s. hmmm is it possible to change a weapon to anything? Like a toaster or a Blender?

It should be possible to change a weapon model to any model that is included in the game files at the moment, I doubt whether there are kitchen appliances in the world of sacred :D. If I could get my hands on a converter that converts into gr2, it could be possible to to exchange a weapon model with anything, you have a model for, you could use an entire shelving unit :P

I did some extensive digging to find some way of converting to the .gr2 format. There appears to be a converter for almost each combination of 3D formats, but nothing to convert to gr2. It seems that on any forum where the convertion to gr2 is discussed, the conclusion/end result is always the same: If you want to create gr2 files in any way, you'll need $10000+ to buy Granny 3D. The lack of any converter lead me to believe that Granny 3D is fairly new, and no-one has yet been able to make a converter, but Granny 3D has a version history going back to 1999. So no-one has been able to convert to gr2 without Granny 3D in 10years+ :D. (Small wonder game devs use it)

But for those who are intrested an gr2 to wavefront obj conveter can be downloaded here. Converter is intended for the file for EVE online, but seems to work fine for Sacred 2.

Then with the file in obj format it can be converted to the format of you chosen 3D editing program. Or you can use Blender, that can import obj files directly. (I used and would recommend Blender) So now at least you can edit the sacred 2 models, if that strikes your fancy :D

• 10 months later...

great topic! I too am not greatly impressed with the officers saber's art. Im sad face taht you couldnt find a way to create your own weapon art, as Im a big fan of double sabers and would have loved to see some double saber action in this already beutiful game.