How can I set up a 360 Controller for PC?

Hey John, you see we gave you your own topic here. As much as possible the/we Moderators on the forum try to keep things organized in a way that makes it easy to find later, easy for other readers to follow, and can be searched from the web. If you aren't sure where something should get posted, don't sweat it. Just try to look for other topics that seem kinda like/related to yours and that will probably be darn close.

Hello Andy(locolagarto), There is no instructions in the book on how to bind or set up the 360 controller to the computer. Any ideas?

In general or in reference to Sacred2?

In general I believe I ordered or bought a special USB adapter(looks just like the charge cable for the recharge battery pack), that came with a set-up disk. * mindlessly digs in box under desk* I will try to find it as I haven't done anything with it since I bought it. Once installed windows automatically recognizes it as a Microsoft game controller( just like a joystick)

In Regards to Sacred2. I haven't tryed as I think I was told early in my DarkMatters life that Sacred2 was not "joystick" compatible. I will have to see if in the keyboard binding(set-up) it would recognize a controller button as a key.

After moving to pc from xbox I was thinking the same thing, how can I hook up my 360 controller? But I couldn't figure a way to do it. For me my best option was to get used to the keyboard and mouse. Second was optimizing the camera options. There's a post in here for that, think Schot started it. Mainly I just had to get used to it.

Fired my xbox up today, almost totally forgot how to use the controller for Sacred. But I did notice that I like the pc controls better now than the xbox. So much more options.

Best I can say John, is dig in, don't fight it. It will grow on you and be better for it.

At least until some one figures a way to do it. By then you might have the trick of it and not want the controller. Keep plugin away and we'll seeya online soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I have this game for the PS3. I really enjoy it and I've read a lot of good things about the PC version so now I want to get it. I want to experience the Ice & Blood addon, I want to be able to use blacksmithing! lol. Now, I've never played a game like this on the PC. I've always been an RTS type of guy. I've gotten comfortable using the PS3 controller to play this game. Is there an option to use a controller on the PC version? This way I can enjoy the Icy bloody smithing goodness?

Edited by sigma20xx
Ok, I have this game for the PS3. I really enjoy it and I've read a lot of good things about the PC version so now I want to get it. I want to experience the Ice & Blood addon, I want to be able to use blacksmithing! lol. Now, I've never played a game like this on the PC. I've always been an RTS type of guy. I've gotten comfortable using the PS3 controller to play this game. Is there an option to use a controller on the PC version? This way I can enjoy the Icy bloody smithing goodness?

I tried to use a XBOX 360 Controller but the game doesn't currently allow any support for game controllers. sorry

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone tried JoyToKey yet? There is a MMO called maple stroy and some people have had some luck getting there controlers to work with that software. It's not 100%, but apparently it does work. I tried it about a year or more ago and couldn't get it to work so I gave up on it. I'm just wondering if there has been some improvements in this application since then. I would try it, but I don't own Sacred 2 for the PC to try it out.

Could one of you guys run a test and see what's what with these other third-party software applications that emulate a mouse/keyboard with a controller. Common software to accomplish this includes:

JoyToKey

xPadder

Switchblade

Pinnacle Profiler

Edited by sigma20xx

You can absolutely setup the 360 controller to emulate any combination of keyboard or mouse buttons... for whatever reason, Microsoft chose not to provide a dedicated application for doing this so you'll have to resort to either paying for a 3rd party solution or finding a free solution.

Lucky for you, I happen to also use my 360 controller for gaming on my computer (on my mac, actually... running windows xp in both bootcamp and Parallels). In my search for a fix for the lack of button customization, I found this:

http://www.xpadder.com/

Now I seem to recall this application being free when I used to use it... I certainly don't recall having to pay for it! However, it appears that there is a charge for it now. Having said that, I'd say it's absolutely worth paying for as it allows you to completely customize everything about the controller. Works with the wireless controller (using Microsoft's usb - wireless adapter) and the wired controllers.

I used this to play Diablo 2 for quite some time, for fun. Quite liked the app.

This should absolutely work with Sacred 2, since you're emulating mouse/keyboard button presses... which would run seperate from the game and thus doesn't rely on in-game gamepad support.

So as an example of this... you decide that your "A" button on the xbox controller is going to be the "left mouse" button. Press the A button and bam, your character attacks. Just decide which buttons you want to map to the controller and when you're in game, that's what you get.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit. I'm honestly not sure if there are any free apps out there that do this, as I haven't used this setup in a long time.

Edited by Scrappy McSlap

Could you try it out for us Scrappy and let us know? I'd like to use my PS3 controller simply becuase it's more comfortable, but I also own a 360 so I could go that way if I need to. I'd just have to buy the adapter. I use my PS3 controller to play emulators and roms on my PC since it is usb controller.

Could you try it out for us Scrappy and let us know? I'd like to use my PS3 controller simply becuase it's more comfortable, but I also own a 360 so I could go that way if I need to. I'd just have to buy the adapter. I use my PS3 controller to play emulators and roms on my PC since it is usb controller.

Try out the application? Yes, I used it for several months. It works flawlessly, as far as I can tell. :) I would imagine the application has only gotten better with more recent updates. I used it extensively with my wireless xbox 360 controller on Windows XP to play games like Diablo 2 and Quake, just for reference. This was probably a year or more ago now.

I had one of the analog sticks set to emulate mouse movement, personally (with the other stick emulating WSAD or movement keys). Then I just adjusted the mouse speed to the point where I felt comfortably moving it around the screen fast enough.

Having said that, a controller will never be as efficient as a mouse for fine targeting. With a game like Sacred 2, you're going to have a tough time emulating the precision you need to target enemies. You may find that you don't like it... Still, if people can play games like WOW on the 360 pad, then it's gotta be doable somewhere in there. Depends on what you're looking for.

For FPS it's awesome, I will say that. I'd still be playing Team Fortress on my PC with 360 controller if it hadn't been released on console already... :P

Sounds pretty tough. I've never played an action rpg game on the PC. I was never really big into those types PC games aside from playing RTS and FPS. I just think playing anything other than those two genres without a controller is unnatural lol. I don't want to get sacred 2 and let it become an unpleasant experience. I'm sure that there are a lot of great ARPG games for the PC that I would enjoy. I guess I'll have to give it a try one day. Maybe go and play Diablo or something. I know I have to because I'm looking forward to Diablo 3. If that game doesn't have a console release, that would be a big loss for me.

I know I have to because I'm looking forward to Diablo 3. If that game doesn't have a console release, that would be a big loss for me.

Indeed... there's a fairly significant console market that Blizzard could tap into if they port it over to console. Still, when they've got a franchise that has an install base of well over 12 million paying subscribers... I guess they're not too worried hey? :)

We'll see how it goes. If they release it for console, it's basically an auto-buy for me. Pretty much won't play anything else for at least a good year after it comes out, I'll bet. :P

Edited by Scrappy McSlap

Why do that to yourself if you have the PC thing down? You have access to a wider pool of players online who are willing to help out with free gear. You also have a higher chance that any bugs found will be patched pretty quickly. Sure now that the consoles have somewhat gone the way of the PC with fixes, it isn't guaranteed. If I were you, I wouldn't subject myself to that kind of trouble.

There's not really any trouble at all! :) I just prefer gaming on a console to a PC. I spent several years gaming on PC (Diablo, Quake, Half Life, Star Craft, Baldur's Gate etc) and had a blast doing it. Somewhere in there I got tired of dealing with constant OS updates and driver updates and hardware upgrades and compatibility issues and the overall lack of comfort involved in my usual PC gaming setup...

There's something to be said for having a closed, standardized set of hardware and software on a console. I know exactly what to expect when I want to get in touch with my friends, there's an excellent communications platform in place for users to keep in touch with each other (in-game system-wide, application independent messaging on the 360 is awesome!) and the level of support from Microsoft in regards to xbox Live and updates is fantastic. Plus it's tough to beat 40 inches of screen real estate with surround sound on a couch...

Still, some gaming experiences will always be better on PC. Maybe Diablo 3 will be one of those. :D

/rant :P

Well, you could always plug your computer into your tv. I did and it's all kinds of awesome. Of course that was with my laptop to watch netflix. I wouldn't dare carry my monster into the living room just to game on. But yeah, I feel you on the constant hardware/software changing thing. I've got an older machine (6 year old) that still works great. I ended up building a new one just to play a singe game. The HDD in it went bad after a year. Imagine that lol. My old machine is still chugging along to this day.

I hope that more PC games do end up on console. They don't seem like they have any trouble porting console games over to the PC side. IT'S NOT FAIR!

Yeah, I had a Mac Mini hooked up to my LCD for the longest time... and then guess what? The HDD crashed! Imagine that! I have yet to pry it open and swap out the harddrive. I'm seriously considering buying a new one anyways (the GPU is so much better on the new units it's not even funny!) and then using my old one as a print server... but yeah. Gotta get it together one day.

Yeah, they've been doing a ton of PC to console ports ever since the 360 launched, so hopefully they can go the other way too. There's a lot of very solid console exclusives that PC gamers should be able to play without shelling out even more money. :P

Yeah, I had a Mac Mini hooked up to my LCD for the longest time... and then guess what? The HDD crashed! Imagine that! I have yet to pry it open and swap out the harddrive. I'm seriously considering buying a new one anyways (the GPU is so much better on the new units it's not even funny!) and then using my old one as a print server... but yeah. Gotta get it together one day.

Yeah, they've been doing a ton of PC to console ports ever since the 360 launched, so hopefully they can go the other way too. There's a lot of very solid console exclusives that PC gamers should be able to play without shelling out even more money. :)

:) I would love to take a crack at FableII on PC.! :P

Yeah, they've been doing a ton of PC to console ports ever since the 360 launched, so hopefully they can go the other way too. There's a lot of very solid console exclusives that PC gamers should be able to play without shelling out even more money. :)

:) I would love to take a crack at FableII on PC.! :P

Yeah, that modding scene for Fable 1 on PC was pretty decent, so it would be great to see what people could do with the sequel if Lionhead/Microsoft ever decides to port it over to PC.