Need for ideeas in a dragon mage ranged build

azamantes

Ok, here's the build I wanna make : a pure ranged dragon mage with mage staffs as a primary weapon of choice.

Since ice & blood, the mage staffs are ranged weapons (if you choose the skill lore), so here's the guideline

SKILLS

CONCENTRATION - 75 points. The reason why concentration is at 75 is because I want all the 3 buffs active on me the all time plus lower regen times of course, although I don't like to kill with my Combat Art's but with my weapon.

DRAGON MAGIC FOCUS - at character level. the familiar will be my first buff

ELEMENTAL MAGIC FOCUS - at character level. the protector will be at level 75 my third and last buff

MENTALISM FOCUS - at character level. the runes of protection will my second buff.

MAGE STAFFS - at character level at all times if possible.

ARMOR LORE - 75 points to unlock damage mitigation modifiers at higher level.

CONSTITUTION - 75 points to unlock in combat health regeneration.

TACTICS LORE - to increase the damage dealt with my staff.

Last 2 skills : I have no ideea what to choose. I'm thinking about

- Toughness - higher resists and more damage mitigation or

- speed lore to increase the attack value or

- an aspect lore like elemental or mentalism. I just don't how mentalism lore affects the runes for example or how elemental lore affects the protector

So do you have any ideas ?

I`ve got something running close to what you`re building and will post my build a little later on this week. I think you`ll do well with your idea, you have chosen two focuses, those will be your aspects..just choose a lore of the one aspect you want to make your primary and you`ll do good as you`ll amp your damage and raise execution speed.

If you don`t choose staves skill you won`t get the fast hitting melle striking or ranged elemental damage of the staff...but you`ll still get the ranged damage of your Combat Art`s...something to consider as just having the ability to extend your staves melee to ranged via TWO skill choices is an important consideration for balancing.

To make that choice worthwhile, I would think that you would have to get Tactics and Staves to Mastery...this would ONLY give you the damage from hitting things with that staff...and no real help to any of your other magical spells.

You`re looking at working with a hybrid here... you`ll need to socket damage that works with both your stave, ranged melee AND your magical damage for your Area of Effect which you`ll need to stay alive.

Course, a great shopper helps.

Good luck

:oooo:

gogo

I`ve got something running close to what you`re building and will post my build a little later on this week. I think you`ll do well with your idea, you have chosen two focuses, those will be your aspects..just choose a lore of the one aspect you want to make your primary and you`ll do good as you`ll amp your damage and raise execution speed.

If you don`t choose staves skill you won`t get the fast hitting melle striking or ranged elemental damage of the staff...but you`ll still get the ranged damage of your Combat Art`s...something to consider as just having the ability to extend your staves melee to ranged via TWO skill choices is an important consideration for balancing.

To make that choice worthwhile, I would think that you would have to get Tactics and Staves to Mastery...this would ONLY give you the damage from hitting things with that staff...and no real help to any of your other magical spells.

You`re looking at working with a hybrid here... you`ll need to socket damage that works with both your stave, ranged melee AND your magical damage for your Area of Effect which you`ll need to stay alive.

Course, a great shopper helps.

Good luck

thanks for the fast reply gogo :) (btw I have chosen in fact 3 focuses)

as for the magical spells , I don't plan on using them. I want to use only my staff, and Combat Art's where I meet larger mobs.

I/m thinking about a choosing dragon magic as the main aspect and mentalism as a second aspect. (a combo with maelstrom and dragon strike looks good on paper :smart: )

I will look forward to your build :oooo:

Dragon magic lore would be very useful:

More hitpoints if companion modified for hit points.

Without a lore modifying the companion for cast speed wouldn't be a bad idea else: you will need spells for defense.

With the lore you can use a dragon strike for some damage, less boring than just staff shooting. The dragon mage has no combat art which allows the staff to hit several enemies. That's the reason I gave up on a dragon sfaff fighter and designed my sohei.

If you have a bargainer already you have access to jewels with -enemy chance to evade already.If not you may need to add bargaining to have a decent hit chance.

You seem to want to shoot with 2-handed staves. Not taking toughness but shield lore and socketing damage into 2 sockets of a nice shield with scalable block chance might be a good idea.

So dragon lore and shield if you have bargaining, If not dragon lore and bargaining. Call it belly feeling.

There are 2 possibilities for a staff shooter:

Direct sniping or playing artillery and do barrage fire: Aim at a point behing an enemy group and let them run into the stream of shots. The later is only useful in plain terrain and demands some playing with camera options.

Hope I could at least be of a little help. I don't know if my disliking of a single target shooter was cause of my bad eyes. In difference to my daughters I never really got the trick to work with cameras and combat arts same time for long distance shooting.