Gloves which change the damage type

Damage type calculations changed a bit in the AddOn, so that you can now have physical and more than one not physical type on an attack. So I wondered where the gloves with damage type changing will fit into the formula.

2. natural weapon damage types

4. adding percentual damage modifiers depending on the damage types

6. damage type changing from socket in a weapon

8. damage modifying done by a combat art ( for example magic coup)

Somewhere in this formula the gloves should fit in, but where and how? Is it in position 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9. I am planing a Kungfu Inquisitor and in difference to a Kungfu Dryad he can use gloves. The question arising was: how to modify Purifying Chastisement. If I modify the Ruthless Mutilation for smolder and fire damage and wearing a physical to magic glove, what would be best modifying for the Buff: more fire or more magical damage?

If the gloves apply in position 1 or 3 than a glove with changing to fire would win from fireskin and fire demon if being an elf, or Purifying Chastisement modifying for fire....

Lots of thoughts, and no time to play till the carneval season is over.

Damage type calculations changed a bit in the AddOn, so that you can now have physical and more than one not physical type on an attack. So I wondered where the gloves with damage type changing will fit into the formula.

2. natural weapon damage types

4. adding percentual damage modifiers depending on the damage types

6. damage type changing from socket in a weapon

8. damage modifying done by a combat art ( for example magic coup)

Somewhere in this formula the gloves should fit in, but where and how? Is it in position 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9. I am planing a Kungfu Inquisitor and in difference to a Kungfu Dryad he can use gloves. The question arising was: how to modify Purifying Chastisement. If I modify the Ruthless Mutilation for smolder and fire damage and wearing a physical to magic glove, what would be best modifying for the Buff: more fire or more magical damage?

If the gloves apply in position 1 or 3 than a glove with changing to fire would win from fireskin and fire demon if being an elf, or Purifying Chastisement modifying for fire....

Lots of thoughts, and no time to play till the carneval season is over.

I have played (assumed) as if they were applied in step #5 or 7. Looking at the overview on console (sigma for PC?), it shows the % changing to elements as a total added from gloves and weapon socket. IF the gloves changing came at a different level (ie 1, 3, or 9), we would see 2 seperate lines for damage conversion.

How certian are you that the % addition (from lores, etc) comes before the damage is converted? I still have that idea to test for consoles, should be able to do it quite easily. Will post results for that tomorrow.

Edited by essjayehm

Oh I've been eager to try out the gloves since Ice and Blood but man it's hard to find conversion gloves. We were told in the beta that the conversion gloves were supposed to affect even spell damage but during pre Ice and Blood it never seemed to happen.

I'll try to get a pair of conversion gloves.

Before the AddOn the x% damage adding was before any damage type converting. The AddOn brought some changes, but I never played a character in the AddON who had both: damage type socketing and damage type converting glove.

But if you say it adds in a single line on a console:

What will happen if you have say 70% fire from a lava and 45% fire from a glove. Will it be 115% percent. And would that mean that you turn 100 physical to 115 fire before any x% damage calculation ?

Would it be possible to boost your damage on high niob levels this way, once the sum climbs above 100?

I hope that I am able to recover my mental powers in a week after carneval season is over here in germany. Currently I suffer a lack of sleep, not from celebrating but from all the car crashes after the parties.

Before the AddOn the x% damage adding was before any damage type converting. The AddOn brought some changes, but I never played a character in the AddON who had both: damage type socketing and damage type converting glove.

But if you say it adds in a single line on a console:

What will happen if you have say 70% fire from a lava and 45% fire from a glove. Will it be 115% percent. And would that mean that you turn 100 physical to 115 fire before any x% damage calculation ?

Would it be possible to boost your damage on high niob levels this way, once the sum climbs above 100?

I hope that I am able to recover my mental powers in a week after carneval season is over here in germany. Currently I suffer a lack of sleep, not from celebrating but from all the car crashes after the parties.

I was soooo excited to see if conversion > 100% would end up increasing damage, but forgot all about it. The highest I got with my seraphim was 95% or so, around char. level 50-65-ish. I stopped shopping for conversion gloves at the time, and reverted back to physical weapon damage in Platinum because opponents physical resistances were lower than elements (sorry I forget which areas I was in at the time - swamp onwards, I believe).

I had also meant to notice where in the calculaton tree the conversion was with her, but my damage was low at the time, so the changes were not very noticeable, and I was using (all) damage +% instead of element damage +% due to using different setups (magic / ice mostly)

On console, conversion gloves are found reasonably easy, with barg. around 2x level, so I will have to re-try with Niob access, now. Will get over 100% without problems.

Schot - Working on a devout/warden Temple Guardian right now. I would assume that battery conversion MAY effect warden spells? Sorry if I mis-understand your comment re: Beta testing. Since the modifier says "conversion damage to :)" I was always hoping that it could convert Firey Ember damage to ice :)

Schot - Working on a devout/warden Temple Guardian right now. I would assume that battery conversion MAY effect warden spells? Sorry if I mis-understand your comment re: Beta testing. Since the modifier says "conversion damage to ?" I was always hoping that it could convert Firey Ember damage to ice :)

That's exactly what we had hoped for but sadly never saw it happen. We only ever saw it change melee damage. Even the battery. The conversion gloves/batteries did change the tooltip display of damage in spells but that was as far as it's effects went. :/

I had been trying for a while now to buy a pair of conversion gloves but man it's hard to shop for in Ice and Blood.

That's exactly what we had hoped for but sadly never saw it happen. We only ever saw it change melee damage. Even the battery. The conversion gloves/batteries did change the tooltip display of damage in spells but that was as far as it's effects went. :/

I think that was a mis-communication/translation.

Seraphims have always had gloves available, even on Console before I went to PC. I always assumed or observed they were step 9. the last thing before the hit. used them with BFG and it changed the damage of the Pelting strike to elemental. with queen of blades build it changed the Combat Art damage but not the left click. it seems that on Ice and Blood is see it change the both left and right click on BFG. but fire Combat Arts like Archangel are not affected. I don't know how this will happen with HE and Magic coup though. as coup was last before gloves were available. gonna have to see if I can shop a pair for my HE.

In the german forum mcgeitner posted some numbers:

Gloves with 34,7% poison converting

Vendetta is the character quest reward for the Highelf, high natural fire damage

no gloves

Vendetta nothing socketed

damage 370-452

phys. 125-154

Fire 245-298

chance to ignite 38,5%

with gloves

Vendetta nothing socketed

damage 371-455

Phys. 88-109

fire 41-50

poison 242-296

chance to ignite 11%

chance to poison 32,5%

no gloves

Lava socketed

damage 368-451

phys. 84-105

fire 284-346

chance to ignite 43,9%

with gloves

lava socketed

damage 371-455

phys. 78

fire 311-377

chance to ignite 47%

So watching the part with gloves but no lava. The Physical damage is converted by roughly the 34% of the glove, but the natural fire damage is strange. It dropped way more than 34% but is not totally converted.

So my current theory is:

Step1: A x% Converter glove converts x% of the physical damage and all of the non physical damage to its damage type.

Step2: The weapon damage added by attributes is splitted by the ratio of original damage typed of the weapon

Step3: x% damage from buffs and equipment calculation

Step4: damage converting from sockets

Step5: Combat Art-converting

If the numbers are correct I can see 2 uses:

defensive

Use a weapon with a high natural magical (or ice) damage and wear ice (or magic) converter gloves. So a successful weapon hit can weaken AND slow.

offensive

Use a weapon with high non physical damage, socket it with the damage type you want and wear any converter glove. The weapon damage will be nearly non physical in the needed damage type.

With energy lances with 4 damage types and a glove in the 5th type it should be possible to do all 5 damage types.

Hope I can do my own testing at weekend in 10 days.

So my current theory is:

Step1: A x% Converter glove converts x% of the physical damage and all of the non physical damage to its damage type.

Step2: The weapon damage added by attributes is splitted by the ratio of original damage typed of the weapon

Step3: x% damage from buffs and equipment calculation

Step4: damage converting from sockets

Step5: Combat Art-converting

If the numbers are correct I can see 2 uses:

defensive

Use a weapon with a high natural magical (or ice) damage and wear ice (or magic) converter gloves. So a successful weapon hit can weaken AND slow.

offensive

Use a weapon with high non physical damage, socket it with the damage type you want and wear any converter glove. The weapon damage will be nearly non physical in the needed damage type.

With energy lances with 4 damage types and a glove in the 5th type it should be possible to do all 5 damage types.

Hope I can do my own testing at weekend in 10 days.

Cool.. Testing numbers and your theory support my finding on console. Are the lores' damage % are applied in step #2? or 3?

I was wrong about the overview, it shows 2 different lines for conversion to fire; The combat arts are doing ~95% fire damage with Blood Dryad sword (has low innate fire damage). This supports your theory step #1. Since I do not have any damage conversion mods on my seraphim's Combat Art's I couldn't test the "order" of the steps (ie step 5)

This confirms my original thought when I read shot's post regarding not being able to find converter gloves easy in expansion, because you are correct about:

offensive

Then you would only need one weapon and 4 gloves (5 if you want to do physical damage) to cover all the elemental damage, which would be "too easy". Otherwise, you would need 4 gloves and 4 weapons (or switch element everytime on one weapon) to get maximal elemental damage.

I didn't test to see if conversion > 100% because the stupid blacksmith in Sloeford didn't want to sell me any Lava... my luck! :)