Griffon's stun attack is beyond annoying...

Title of the thread pretty much says it all. I just lost a new character to him (very low level... 7 in fact!) completely due to his stun attack. Not that I care too much about the character, as I was less than 2 hours in... just the experience of standing there mashing a button over and over again and having nothing happen... and then having to zoom the camera waaaay in close to see the little stars around myself to know that I'm stunned is a less than enjoyable experience.

I'm of the opinion that, outside of cinematic or story related events, anything that takes control away from the character should be avoided as a game mechanic. It really just comes off as being a cheap way to make the game more difficult.

Maybe that's just me though.

/rant.

Back to the drawing board for another HC character... :D

Title of the thread pretty much says it all. I just lost a new character to him (very low level... 7 in fact!) completely due to his stun attack. Not that I care too much about the character, as I was less than 2 hours in... just the experience of standing there mashing a button over and over again and having nothing happen... and then having to zoom the camera waaaay in close to see the little stars around myself to know that I'm stunned is a less than enjoyable experience.

I'm of the opinion that, outside of cinematic or story related events, anything that takes control away from the character should be avoided as a game mechanic. It really just comes off as being a cheap way to make the game more difficult.

Maybe that's just me though.

/rant.

Back to the drawing board for another HC character... :D

I've had to supress the overwhelming urge to throw controllers while being stunned. Although I've learned to keep the camera at a zoom level that allows me to tell if I'm stunned or weakened or frozen.

So I decided to play WITH the stunning! (Temple Guardian's have a lot built-in). (If you can't beat them, ....)

Just how big are your cohones, anyway? Going after Griffon @ level 7, HARDCORE? IMO, You're crazy man, that's for sure! You must've felt really good about your toon doing that.

Edited by essjayehm
I've had to supress the overwhelming urge to throw controllers while being stunned. Although I've learned to keep the camera at a zoom level that allows me to tell if I'm stunned or weakened or frozen.

So I decided to play WITH the stunning! (Temple Guardian's have a lot built-in). (If you can't beat them, ....)

Just how big are your cohones, anyway? Going after Griffon @ level 7, HARDCORE? IMO, You're crazy man, that's for sure! You must've felt really good about your toon doing that.

It's all about Goldenglade Touch, my man. With a single mod point put into it to increase HP regeneration (the bronze "Flow" mod, specifically), taking on the Griffon is very much doable at low level. I probably could have taken him at an even earlier level; that's just how many levels I gained on my way to fight him. Of course, it takes a long time to drop him as my chance to hit him is so low, but it's a fun exercise in pushing the limits of a character.

For reference, I was able to take on the Colossus at level 9 with my Shadow Warrior, also HC... so it's really not that bad.

The death of my Dryad was preventable, as potion effects still go through even when I'm stunned. I was just being stubborn and trying to get some form of response from the game before I realized that I was stunned. Whoops... :)

Yay, I'm glad someone else feels the same way I do about that boss. And not only does he stun...he always strips my Dryad...just about the worst thing ever, and I have to start using GGT...just a big pain.

He tops my list of least favorite enemies in the game.

:)

gogo

p.s. Nice topic title btw ^^

Heya,

the only times I enjoy facing griff is with my semi-buffer seraphim.... Griff does not strip semi's :)

AND then ofc there is my Rohirrim ;) No Combat Art no Buff Horselord of the Rohirrim :) Usually Griff runs in sheer terror when he rides up for the challenge!

Greetz

Yeah, the Griffon's debuffing is definitely annoying... between that and his stun, those are pretty much the only things that make him a challenge. I've had closer calls with some of the mobs near him than I have actually fighting him.

Still, it's really handy that there's a portal right next to him, and he does seem to have some decent drops too. :D

I hate that one as well. Spend way too much time fighting it and have to re-buff every 20 seconds.

I forget which toon it was but I had one that could take it out in seconds, the Griffon would actually run from me.

Awww, I miss my pony ... hmmm ^^

:D

gogo

Get one up and running :D With LL% and chance to hit additional... quite fun actually! Mine is at 27 iirc.

Greetz

Thus far the Griffon has been the most "challenging" monster in the game for me and my wife by FAR. This is not to say that we haven't come closer to dieing versus other monsters but that was solely do to our mistakes or accidental button pushing on my wife's part. The Griffon EASILY ranks as our #1 enemy with best chance to kill us do to its combination of the following:

1 - debuffing: for a Dryad and BFG Seph this basically makes us useless. My wife's Seph loses her gun completely and her ability to quickly figure out how to turn buffs back on is NO EASY feat. It usually takes her a bit to turn all 3 of them on when we enter a game. Luckily when we enter a game we always save at SAFE locations in town so that she can take her time with this. When the Griffon does this in mid combat all HELL can break lose as she accidentally clicks the START button or something and brings up the save screen! debuffing also takes my sweet DEF of around 60K down to like 5.5K and makes me a super easy target for huge damage. It also takes my SP off which turns my ability to hit into a laughable percentage.

2 - can't be tied up with Vines: this makes him particularly dangerous with 1 from above. If he couldn't do 1 and 2 he would not be very tough as he would simply die very fast or he would be kept at a safe distance from us. But since we can't do either it makes him dangerous

3 - his resistance to BFG damage: the damage that my wife does with her big gun is significantly reduced do to griffon armor resistances so he does not go down nearly as fast as everything else she shoots in the game

4 - the stun that is mentioned in the subject line combined with the above 3 make him a threat. remove any one of the above 3 though and I could care less if he stunned as he would likely never get close enough to me to do any serious damage. however, with the above 3 items, when he does get right up in my grill and stuns me, there can be a moment or 2 of anxiety before I can run away... its much scarier however when its my wife who is stunned as I simply never know what button she will mash next and severely cripple my ability to even see the TV screen!

Mind you, we are through the desert on Niob so I am yet to face the end monsters on Niob. however, since they do NOT have abilities 1 and 2, I am not too worried about them since I always keep them vined up and we hang out in my dust storm shooting them from at least 1/3rd screen away.

It's all about Goldenglade Touch, my man. With a single mod point put into it to increase HP regeneration (the bronze "Flow" mod, specifically), taking on the Griffon is very much doable at low level. I probably could have taken him at an even earlier level; that's just how many levels I gained on my way to fight him. Of course, it takes a long time to drop him as my chance to hit him is so low, but it's a fun exercise in pushing the limits of a character.

For reference, I was able to take on the Colossus at level 9 with my Shadow Warrior, also HC... so it's really not that bad.

The death of my Dryad was preventable, as potion effects still go through even when I'm stunned. I was just being stubborn and trying to get some form of response from the game before I realized that I was stunned. Whoops... :)

Ah, about the same HP regen as Grand Invigoration = 200 runes read? :) Gotcha. Feels good to be (nearly) invincible! For Silver, anywho.

Hardcore Shadow Warrior at level 9 can be perma-Veiled, no? As long as you can hit him, I guess that's no problem! Might take a while ;)

I haven't fought this guy fairly too many times, to be honest. My seraphim died fighting him, but that was 100% user error. My current Temple Guardian has fought him fairly in Platinum, around level 60-ish. Not too big a deal, but I was the one doing the stunning! He managed to get the shield down, but that was the only thing he did, iirc.

Edited by essjayehm
Ah, about the same HP regen as Grand Invigoration = 200 runes read? :lol: Gotcha. Feels good to be (nearly) invincible! For Silver, anywho.

Hardcore Shadow Warrior at level 9 can be perma-Veiled, no? As long as you can hit him, I guess that's no problem! Might take a while ;)

I haven't fought this guy fairly too many times, to be honest. My seraphim died fighting him, but that was 100% user error. My current Temple Guardian has fought him fairly in Platinum, around level 60-ish. Not too big a deal, but I was the one doing the stunning! He managed to get the shield down, but that was the only thing he did, iirc.

I'm not sure what the HP regen for GI with 200 runes is, but it has to be a hell of a lot more than what I was pushing with my low level Dryad. I only had a single ruin on GGT, and with the mod point I think the HP regen was at 61HP per second... which is really low considering how high it can get.

As far as my Shadow Warrior goes, I didn't used Shadow Veil at all... I just went toe to toe with him chugging whatever potions I had found and using summoned skeletons and Skeletal Tower to drop his health. Pretty dicey for a bit there though...

I think I've only fought that boss a total of maybe three times now. His energy shield is a bit of a pain. Other than that, he's not too tough. Probably a pain in the ass at higher difficulty levels though.

seraphim's have a ridiculous amount of shield protection if built right. Not much at lower levels, but for the long game they're nuts. :P