How do you make Source Warden take off?

In couch co-op (360 version) with a buddy who's running an Ice Elf, I'm running a Source Warden Temple Guardian (well, more of a utility spellcaster, but he's focused around Source Warden). From what I've heard, Source Warden should be clearing the screen of mobs without too much trouble (correct me if I'm wrong), but right now all I seem to be doing is being my buddy's sidekick.

I think we're around Level 25 (maybe a little higher), and Source Warden Lore is equal to my level. I've been pumping points into Stamina instead of Intelligence out of habit (it seems like Intelligence would have been the better choice). And my Combat Art levels are still at 1 (slightly supplemented by a couple of socketed runes: I'm having very little luck with gear, and neither of us have higher level characters on his hard drive that could give us better stuff).

I assume my weakness is that my Combat Art levels are still at 1 (I think Icy Evanescence is slightly higher via gear, now). Is this my problem, and if so, how many hard runes should I be putting into the three Area of Effect Combat Arts? Or can someone suggest a cooldown/regen time marker I should be staying under? I vaguely recall a post by someone or other complaining that he/she had chosen the Sustain mod for Fiery Embers or Icy Evanescence, because apparently he/she was killing mobs so quickly that the duration wasn't helpful. So again, I assume my issue is the Combat Art levels, and I assume that I might have more leeway for the cooldown/regen times than most builds do.

Any help from anyone who has been down this road before?

In couch co-op (360 version) with a buddy who's running an Ice Elf, I'm running a Source Warden Temple Guardian (well, more of a utility spellcaster, but he's focused around Source Warden). From what I've heard, Source Warden should be clearing the screen of mobs without too much trouble (correct me if I'm wrong), but right now all I seem to be doing is being my buddy's sidekick.

I think we're around Level 25 (maybe a little higher), and Source Warden Lore is equal to my level. I've been pumping points into Stamina instead of Intelligence out of habit (it seems like Intelligence would have been the better choice). And my Combat Art levels are still at 1 (slightly supplemented by a couple of socketed runes: I'm having very little luck with gear, and neither of us have higher level characters on his hard drive that could give us better stuff).

I assume my weakness is that my Combat Art levels are still at 1 (I think Icy Evanescence is slightly higher via gear, now). Is this my problem, and if so, how many hard runes should I be putting into the three Area of Effect Combat Arts? Or can someone suggest a cooldown/regen time marker I should be staying under? I vaguely recall a post by someone or other complaining that he/she had chosen the Sustain mod for Fiery Embers or Icy Evanescence, because apparently he/she was killing mobs so quickly that the duration wasn't helpful. So again, I assume my issue is the Combat Art levels, and I assume that I might have more leeway for the cooldown/regen times than most builds do.

Any help from anyone who has been down this road before?

A while ago I asked Llama ,(a Mod over on the SIF, and active FDM member) what level a Warding Temple Guardian really gets cooking and he said about 40-50. So I think you need to pump the focus and Lore for a few more levels and get the Combat Art levels up and you will really start to see something happen.

The source warden Temple Guardian needs a bit time to get strong enough to kill very fast. At the latest at level 75 when you start to get the most important masteries, it should be much better. You can see how it could looks like in this thread.

I've been pumping points into Stamina instead of Intelligence out of habit (it seems like Intelligence would have been the better choice).

Indeed.

I assume my weakness is that my Combat Art levels are still at 1 (I think Icy Evanescence is slightly higher via gear, now). Is this my problem, and if so, how many hard runes should I be putting into the three Area of Effect Combat Arts? Or can someone suggest a cooldown/regen time marker I should be staying under?

You can slowly eat some runes but you always have to watch out that your reg time doesn't increases to much. The reg time (without cooldown) of FE and IE shouldn't be higher then the duration to cast them in an alternating way. When you reduce the opponents fire resists by FE, you can also use Primal Mutation, modded to fire dmg for the champs.

You can also consider Combat Discipline skill for a little bump in Firey and Icy damage, but it's not too big.

You can judge your regeneration time by the amount of Regeneration per Hit you have. In the 15 seconds cooldown for Firey/Icy, you can estimate how many hits you do in that time, multiply by RpH, and then eat runes until the Regen. part of the equation is equal to that number.

Around level 40-50 you should have ample +allskills to make the Source Warden spells cook... or freeze as you please!

For latter parts of Platinum, and most of Niob, I wasn't been able to make the Warden spells too great. Deathblow helps, but maybe I was missing a little sumptin along the way...

Edited by essjayehm

it's pretty clear to me that none of the Combat Arts in Source Warden are meant to be used exclusively for Boss/Champ Killing

they sweep mobs really well, but lack the punch of other techs.

effective TGs use Devout guardian, and/or Lost Fusion makes TGs viable. I'm finding it impossible to make an effective Temple Guardian without Tactics Lore.

it's pretty clear to me that none of the Combat Arts in Source Warden are meant to be used exclusively for Boss/Champ Killing

they sweep mobs really well, but lack the punch of other techs.

effective TGs use Devout guardian, and/or Lost Fusion makes TGs viable. I'm finding it impossible to make an effective Temple Guardian without Tactics Lore.

Primal Mutation would like to say a few words...

I am to be used against bosses

I have yet to see a boss get transformed into a bunny. Got a few champs with it, but not a boss. Singe-Helpless-Helpless are my choice mods.