Should my Dragon Mage use sword with shield or two-handed sword

I can't really decide if I should have my dragon mage wear a sword with shield, or a two-handed sword.

the two handed sword does more damage , but it is slower, and with the other you have the extra protection of the shield.

what should I choose?

I have not tried 2H myself. I use a shield for the extra protection and sockets. Your main damage will be from magic not sword. You can socket regeneration per hit items which speed up regen of magic. Thats the main use of the sword.

anyone else got an opinion?

I like one hand staff and shield with both staff lore and shield lore. it gives you faster attack speed than 2-H. Plus with the shield lore you can really get good defense from the shield. I like staff for the ranged attack. RpH works well that way too.

On the other hand 2-H swords can be found with LL% which is great for boss battles.

what's LL%

Unlike regular life leech that takes a fixed number of hp from an enemy and gives them to you as healing. LL% takes a percentage of hp from the enemy. 1-2% can seem like very little until you get to a boss with 2,000,000 hp. and then your doing and extra 20,000 damage with every weapon strike. it's very cool!

that's sounds very nice indeed.

but untill now, for boss battles, I used my dragon berserker form ( modified for faster hits), and that works very good for me.

I'll try a boss fight 2h to see whats best for me

I did the sacred (blind guardian) mission. and used the staff of metal mastery that you get when you complete the mission. Used it for almost 20levels and it really outdid any other staff/wand that I could buy/pick up. added fire damage as well.