What is the point of socketing + Combat Arts?

Hey all, just started playing. Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, I apologize if it is not.

Most of the builds I have read so far tell you to use gear with +combat arts. What is the point of this? Having your CA level raised this way increases its regen time, just as eating more runes would, no? Or does +CA gear increase the regen time at a lower rate?

Thanks very much!

Hey all, just started playing. Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, I apologize if it is not.

Most of the builds I have read so far tell you to use gear with +combat arts. What is the point of this? Having your CA level raised this way increases its regen time, just as eating more runes would, no? Or does +CA gear increase the regen time at a lower rate?

Thanks very much!

Hey there Stri, using +CA gear or using gear that is socketed with +CA runes only increases the regen time by 1/2 of the normal amount.

Thanks very much!

Hey there Stri, using +CA gear or using gear that is socketed with +CA runes only increases the regen time by 1/2 of the normal amount.

Agreed! socketed +all CA is the prefered method of raising your CAs. the 1/2 regen penalty is the common thought, however I have suspisions the the 1/2 has some variables depending on Focus skill, char level, etc. like there is diminishing returns depending on the Focus level. either way its still better to socket than read runes.

Also I've found that if you socket you get extra Modifier like Life Leech or chance to evade or something like that.

-Shadow.

Yes, this is also true. All the runes have modifiers associated with them. If you socket a rune in an item, the item will recieve the modifiers on the rune.

Awesome, thanks all. That makes sense.

One more (entirely unrelated) question: is there a fast way through the campaign quests? I am building a shopper, and would like to move to the higher difficulties faster (she is 49 now and in Silver).

Thanks again!

Agreed! socketed +all CA is the prefered method of raising your CAs. the 1/2 regen penalty is the common thought, however I have suspisions the the 1/2 has some variables depending on Focus skill, char level, etc. like there is diminishing returns depending on the Focus level. either way its still better to socket than read runes.

Indeed it seems based off focus level, at least for the maximum level if nothing else, and there does appear to be some diminishing returns on the regen reduction, after level 50ish it would appear it goes from 1/2(50%) to something closer to ~55%. I can't be entirely certain however, but the higher your focus the less this effect seems to show up. It may just be a trick of the mind though ^^; one can never tell for sure with this game, there are simply too many factors to be entirely positive.

Shoppers that want to reach higher difficulties faster should most definitely either grab a buddy and make him do the work or have an alternate account to use for a shopper. Psn's are free so I made a second account and got a level 15 to platinum, took a while though and they did die quite a bit, 846 times I think it was ;) . Campaign runners are a must though really for this purpose.