Hybrid Dragon Mage

Etherian

This being my first attempt at a Dragon Mage. To date @ only level 25, this character is by far the most complex I have come across.

A few mechanics stand out w/ this character. None of which seem to be familiar.

1. No aspect CA is based on weapon damage.

2. No aspect CA can be used with RpH.

3. With 1 rune into aspect CA. The starting base damage seems very low in comparison via other character types.

4. To reach Niob, DM has no melee capabilites.

Just to name a few. There are more I'm sure. Just havent had the experience to find them all. I am begining to think the DM is in a class of his own? May be fair to say I am in over my head on this character until I can wrap my thoughts around this complex Warrior.

Ember's skill allocation @ level 25...

02. Concentration ~keeping this @ 1. Two buffs~

03. Armor Lore ~keeping this @ char. level.~

05. Shield Lore ~keeping this @ char. level.~

08. Mentalism Lore ~still very low~

12. Mentalism Focus ~adding the odd point into this for now~

18. Dragon Magic Lore ~still very low~

25. Dragon Magic Focus ~still very low~

Regens. seem to be a bit high with only having 1 rune into each CA. All CA regens. are still in the 2-3 second range. Even with Niob Whet, the damage output still seems very low. Ember is having to use a %LL Shuriken to kill off the mini-bosses.

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated!

I remain, :)

~p.s.~ I did find by accident. Using your left click weapon does work with RpH indirectly regarding CA regens. Though RpH doesnt work with any aspect CA, we can use our weapon to trigger the RpH.

From the wiki regarding RpH: "Non-weapon-based combat arts cannot trigger this effect, but will have their regeneration time reduced, only weapon-based attacks (both "normal" hits and weapon-based combat arts) can trigger this effect."

I've got an Elemental/Mentalism DM going on at the moment, and he seems ok. He's about level 32 at the moment. Initially I started spamming destroyers/energy blaze, but found that the destroyers are only really useful if you get the mob to surround you before you release them (other wise they tend to wander off and stand around doing nothing). Then there's the issue of cooldown.

After watching Furian's DM destroy everything on screen with gust of wind, I've started using it a bit more and finding if very effective. Also works well with Maelstrom once you get the mob herding technique down.

Unfortunately none of this is particularly useful to you, being that you aren't using the elemental tree. I am a fan of mind strike though, it's almost like a heavy melee attack from a distance with added regen disruption.

I took the lores/focuses earlier on, with only armor lore before them, which may explain your lack of damage?

After watching Furian's DM destroy everything on screen with gust of wind, I've started using it a bit more and finding if very effective.

Shhh :) your giving away my secrets before I get to post them.

This being my first attempt at a Dragon Mage. To date @ only level 25, this character is by far the most complex I have come across.

1. No aspect CA is based on weapon damage. That's true

2. No aspect CA can be used with RpH.Not exactly true, I use a throwing star and have RpH socketed. Left click/ melee attacks work and that regens my CA. Just a bit of opponents chance to evade, attack speed. and you will be :)

3. With 1 rune into aspect CA. The starting base damage seems very low in comparison via other character types. This is weird as my latest DM at level 40'ish can one shot with mind strike.

4. To reach Niob, DM has no melee capabilities. I don't believe in this train of thought. I have a Voodoo/Nature Dryad that is at 101 on niob without a melee skill and I use a blow gun to RpH for my CA. Using the blowgun left clicks I can fairly easily kill any mob around me. With this tested I am now using it for my DM with flying colors. Once again, throw that shiny bauble :music:

Just to name a few. There are more I'm sure. Just haven't had the experience to find them all. I am beginning to think the DM is in a class of his own? May be fair to say I am in over my head on this character until I can wrap my thoughts around this complex Warrior. Totally believe you here, I cannot seem to get away from running a triple aspect focus, dual lore build. Absolutely Awesome

Regens. seem to be a bit high with only having 1 rune into each CA. All CA regens. are still in the 2-3 second range. Even with Niob Whet, the damage output still seems very low. Ember is having to use a %LL Shuriken to kill off the mini-bosses.

I remain, :unsure:

~p.s.~ I did find by accident. Using your left click weapon does work with RpH indirectly regarding CA regens. Though RpH doesnt work with any aspect CA, we can use our weapon to trigger the RpH.

Think of running this build outside the box of the norm, I believe the dragon mage is a class onto its own and If all works out as I plan he will be super awesome :superman:

Edited by Furian67

The Sohei --- A mentalism-polearm hybrid Dragon Mage

I played this sohei with great fun. It was one of my first dragon mages just when the AddOn came out. So it was an experiment if left click normal attacks could be used to recharge Combat Arts with RpH and do x% life leech damage versus bosses using polearms.

Perhaps you can catch an idea or two from it for your own experiments.

Edited by chattius

Most definitely a must read. I spent an extra hour after I had decided to go to bed just reading through Chattius's two threads on the Dragon Mage way of life. Thought I was onto something until I reread his idea's. And more then likely that's where I got mine from, been so long since I originally read them. Brilliant really!

From the wiki regarding RpH: "Non-weapon-based combat arts cannot trigger this effect, but will have their regeneration time reduced, only weapon-based attacks (both "normal" hits and weapon-based combat arts) can trigger this effect."

I've got an Elemental/Mentalism DM going on at the moment, and he seems ok. He's about level 32 at the moment. Initially I started spamming destroyers/energy blaze, but found that the destroyers are only really useful if you get the mob to surround you before you release them (other wise they tend to wander off and stand around doing nothing). Then there's the issue of cooldown.

After watching Furian's DM destroy everything on screen with gust of wind, I've started using it a bit more and finding if very effective. Also works well with Maelstrom once you get the mob herding technique down.

Unfortunately none of this is particularly useful to you, being that you aren't using the elemental tree. I am a fan of mind strike though, it's almost like a heavy melee attack from a distance with added regen disruption.

I took the lores/focuses earlier on, with only armor lore before them, which may explain your lack of damage?

I may have to rethink Ember's aspects. Regarding the Elemental Tree. About the lack of damage, I think you may be right, still lacking effective points in Lore's.

1. No aspect CA is based on weapon damage. That's true

2. No aspect CA can be used with RpH.Not exactly true, I use a throwing star and have RpH socketed. Left click/ melee attacks work and that regens my CA. Just a bit of opponents chance to evade, attack speed. and you will be :)

3. With 1 rune into aspect CA. The starting base damage seems very low in comparison via other character types. This is weird as my latest DM at level 40'ish can one shot with mind strike.

4. To reach Niob, DM has no melee capabilities. I don't believe in this train of thought. I have a Voodoo/Nature Dryad that is at 101 on niob without a melee skill and I use a blow gun to RpH for my CA. Using the blowgun left clicks I can fairly easily kill any mob around me. With this tested I am now using it for my DM with flying colors. Once again, throw that shiny bauble :(

Just to name a few. There are more I'm sure. Just haven't had the experience to find them all. I am beginning to think the DM is in a class of his own? May be fair to say I am in over my head on this character until I can wrap my thoughts around this complex Warrior. Totally believe you here, I cannot seem to get away from running a triple aspect focus, dual lore build. Absolutely Awesome

I remain, :unsure:

Think of running this build outside the box of the norm, I believe the dragon mage is a class onto its own and If all works out as I plan he will be super awesome :superman:

Apparently Ember will have to be run outstide of the box. His complexity is something of Wizards.

Regarding your thoughts here: I don't believe in this train of thought. I have a Voodoo/Nature Dryad that is at 101 on niob without a melee skill and I use a blow gun to RpH for my CA. Using the blowgun left clicks I can fairly easily kill any mob around me. With this tested I am now using it for my DM with flying colors. Once again, throw that shiny bauble :ninjastar:

I was trying to convey the DM has no lasting melee capabilities in his Aspects. I've read, Dragon Berzerk has diminishing returns @ higher lvls. not suited for Gold-Niob. Sad really, the whole idea @ start was to pluck off Dragons while in Dragon Form.

The Sohei --- A mentalism-polearm hybrid Dragon Mage

I played this sohei with great fun. It was one of my first dragon mages just when the AddOn came out. So it was an experiment if left click normal attacks could be used to recharge Combat Arts with RpH and do x% life leech damage versus bosses using polearms.

Perhaps you can catch an idea or two from it for your own experiments.

I had read this fantistic piece of work a few days ago. My original fear with the Sohei, the build has no shield, using a polearm. Perhaps I missed something though? Sohei have enough defense to withstand the brutality in Niob?

Thank You for all your replies. I'll keep pounding away with this build. If anything, Ember can be wrote down as experience, eventually leading to, as RyanRocker says, "very Epic".

Hmmm I'm agreeing with you on the first two ca in the dragon aspect. Might be worth the experiance to test out and get to the bottom of that. Why would they make two ca that won't work. From all the dm playing I've done of late the Dragon Mage was interwoven with everything Ice&Blood. So what about the first two Combat Arts?

Robin, to the Bat Cave we have work to do!

How do you plan on moding your aspect CA?

I have both buffs fully moded.

Familiar: Firebug, Protection from fire, Energy Flux

Runes of Protection: Awe, Protection, Runes

I cannot decide on how to mod the rest.

Dragon Strike, Eternal Fire, Mind Strike, Energy Blaze, Maelstrom, Combat Trance...just cant decide. Need some insight, please.

As far as eating runes into these Aspect CA. Like you said earlier, Ember is eating runes into Dragon Strike, Combat Trance to malus. Before I asked you, I had eaten 8 runes into each buff. Really I have noticed no real difference in regens. as I am working my way up to [21] into each focus. Then start working on Mastering Lores.

Picked Constitution for the [35] skill choice.

Thinking of taking Ancient Magic @ [50]

Spell Resistance @ [65]

Thoughts or Opinions are appreciated!

I remain, Etherian

I think Ancient Magic and Spell resistance are a must, for the game "we" play.

For Dragon Strike:

Heat, Heat, Fury. When we call in the Air Strike we are not needing light tactics but the "Big One" all out damage is my vote.

Eternal Fire:

Licking Flames

Hunger

Gold mod untested yet

Mind Strike:

I use this spell against casters and bosses. I'll go with :

Sustainability for the win against bosses

Impact- main use of spell ... Bosses

Drill- I don't care if movement speed is reduced

Energy Blaze:

Confusion - slower attack speed I will go with that one.

Zone- Mobs do not follow our rules. More area means getting the mobs trying to get away.

Gold mod untested yet.

Maelstrom:

Grind - hell ya, less armor = more damage I'll do that.

Extension- during boss fights this is nice

Demoralize - Again even better for all around

Combat Trance:

Awareness- Snare only happens with regular mobs, I can handle that. But Stun stops you from everything. No stun means I'm opening Another can of Woop *** on the Boss.

Hardened is 30% chance opponent to burn, freeze, blah , blah I cant remember. So lets socket this instead, it will better than 15seconds of it.

go with Experienced that brings the cool down lower. And we can then cast it more often

Sorry gold mod untested.

From my experience I hope this helps... if nothing else, We live and learn. Remake what didn't work, Reuse what we had. Overcome, Adapt, Rule the Day.

From my experience I hope this helps... if nothing else, We live and learn. Remake what didn't work, Reuse what we had. Overcome, Adapt, Rule the Day.

:agreed:

I'll take your kind words and advise.

Although, I wont be on much the next few days. My grandparents made a suprise entrance this morning. They where suppose to arrive Saturday. They will be leaving early to mid afternoon Sunday.

All is well though, love my family. Wish we had more time as a family!

I remain, Etherian

~p.s.~ Keep rockin Ancaria while im away! Kill a few for me... :paladin: