High Elf help needed.

HI guys, I have been trying to build a High Elf that concentrates on Shadow Step for their mob killer and Cobalt Strike for the boss killer. However I keep dying in exactly the same place every single time. I only play hard core characters, so rebuilding each time is getting frustrating. :) I would appreciate any advice that might help me to see what I am doing wrong.

Here is my character;

Pic2.jpg

Pic1.jpg

I am level 53 in Silver, with 2,935 HP

My armour is 691 total

Physical 166

Magic 140

Fire 89

Poison 149

Ice 147

The place I keep dying is in the High Elf character quest, I get up to Thyllysium. I have done the letter, gone to Tybosso's Mansion, then go into the cavern directly below the mansion, talk to the 3 soldiers there ........ and DIE! Every bleeping time!

As soon as I click OK on the conversation window, they all hit me, 1,2,3,dead. If I could last just a couple of seconds I could start throwing some Cobalt Strikes, but I don't have time.

SO where have I gone wrong in my build? My main quest is up to the tunnel at Dragonmaw Pass, I have done the Blind Guardian quest and I have had no difficulty with any of it, so after going back to do the character quest, why is this bit so hard?

HELP! :lol:

Edited by podgie_bear

That is not a good build for hardcore. I would suggest restarting with alot more defense.

Drop ep and bargain.

Get shield and stomite focus

Get crystal skin

Get more points in constitution.

I would suggest if you want bargain and ep put bargain on a pyro elf and ep on a voodoo dryad.

Thanks for the reply Wintermane.

I only took Bargain to get Enhanced Perception to try and find some decent kit, But would be fairly happy without them.

As regards Stormite Focus, would I need to pump this, or just enough to mod Crystal Skin? Does the skill even affect Crystal Skin, or even effect regen on my CAs, bearing in mind that they are all Delphic Arcania (apart from Crystal Skin if I take it)? And by shield, do you mean use one, take Shield Lore or both? Since I am using a 2H staff, obviously I'll have to change that if I use a shield, so what should I consider using instead, energy weapon maybe and would that want Ranged Weapon skill?

Ok on shields. I use one handed staves so I can use a shield as I want all the slots I can get and defense and block but if you realy like 2 handed staves thats ok just be sure to get enough constitution to take all the blows.

On stormite you would want to mod crystal skin mirror focalize and would just want eniough focus to enable you to have a high enough buff to give you the physical resists and armor you want to get past those guys. This might also enable you to cast a long enough lasting cascade to cast it just before your talk and have it keep you alive during the start of the battle. Duno.

Now pyro has a buff that reflects melee attacks but it would be nowhere near 100% and so your just as likely to get whacked 3 times anyway.

Wish I was on my pc right now but iPhone will have to do. I don't see anything that makes this build a bust. Looks good what you do have. A few things I would start doing to save/boost up your build are as follows:

from the pics what I noticed is one, chance opponent to hit you is too high. Fix this by socketing some chance to evade. Get that back down closer to 20% or less.

Two, start pumping Armor Lore. This will also help with your regen times.

I noticed your damage against mobs is fairly low. I would back up a step and hunt high elves outside of town. Also how are your combat arts modded? And I don't think I saw any RpH socketed. With you Magic Coup rph works magic coup has a built in chance to hit so that would help.

A good read would be Master Chattius's Shield Maiden. Awesome info in there. If I have left anything out when I get off work I'll take another look at your pics.

I'll echo both furian and Zetnz. If I were you I may think about restarting, or if you want we can move forward and try to fix this one.

Plan A: press onward

To fix this one do as furian suggested and start pumping Armor lore. you have no defense at all, and HEs lack the heavy armor that some other classes have.

At level 65 take Mystic Storm Focus and get about 9 point to mod Crystal Skin ( mirror , focalize, expertise). The physical armor boost alone will be huge. your playing pre Ice and Blood so the biggest threat you have is Physical damage. Also how many runes for Grand invigoration can you get your hands on? there is no limit. if you can get 1000, do it. The bonuses to Regen and HP Regen come with no downside, so pump it.

Plan B: rebuild

If you want to stay with a single aspect Magic build I might do this:

2. Armor lore- put a point in every level until 75

3. Delphic Lore- keep at level to 75

5. Concentration- 1 pt

8. Delphic Focus- 21 pts

12. Mystic Stormite Focus- 9pts

18. Constitution- after the focuses put all points here until 75

25. shield lore - even if you don't have a shield on you get a boost to Defense value and at mastery a chance to block close combat.

35. Ancient Magic-

50 optional

65 optional

Use Magic Coup with a RpH for help with regens, Although with GI pumped with runes regens won't be a problem

Mod Cobalt strike for (heavy Damage, electrify, Critical) for bosses. or (Chain, chain , explode) for mobs

Shadow step for (Phase shift, Sanctuary, Explosion)

Expulse for (strength ,undead)

Grand invigoration ( Mystic stormite, Life Energy)

I may actually try this myself after my other 3 test builds are done.

Cheers Mate!

Thank you all.

I think that maybe I have been so focused on trying to play a 'Shadow Step' build that I lost track of the rest of my character's needs. I got lost in the enjoyment of Shadow Stepping, running around collecting a crowd of enemies and watching them wandering around in confusion as I port in and out, Since I modded for invisibility rather than for invulnerability.

I did not even consider using Magic Coup because I remember the Mage from Sacred,"disdains physical weapons", so I did as well in this build. What do you think about energy pistol and shield? I have a Djalek's Annihilator I wouldn't mind trying out, but would I need to take Range Weapons skill, or would this be unecessary if I used it with Magic Coup?

Thank you all.

I think that maybe I have been so focused on trying to play a 'Shadow Step' build that I lost track of the rest of my character's needs. I got lost in the enjoyment of Shadow Stepping, running around collecting a crowd of enemies and watching them wandering around in confusion as I port in and out, Since I modded for invisibility rather than for invulnerability.

I did not even consider using Magic Coup because I remember the Mage from Sacred,"disdains physical weapons", so I did as well in this build. What do you think about energy pistol and shield? I have a Djalek's Annihilator I wouldn't mind trying out, but would I need to take Range Weapons skill, or would this be unecessary if I used it with Magic Coup?

'The Shadow Step play style is a lot of fun so I can't blame you for that. a pistol and shield are a great idea, with magic coup you do not need Ranged weapon skill for right click play style. magic coupe gets it's chance to hit and speed from Arcane Lore which you have at level.

'The Shadow Step play style is a lot of fun so I can't blame you for that. a pistol and shield are a great idea, with magic coup you do not need Ranged weapon skill for right click play style. magic coupe gets it's chance to hit and speed from Arcane Lore which you have at level.

Thanks Loco, I'll try that next time maybe. I think that I have become stale on this character, so I'll put it back on the shelf for a few days and continue with my Inquisitor au Naturelle for a while. Add a few more pics to the record of my build. Then come back to the High Elf fresh.

Edited by podgie_bear
  • 3 months later...