Toughness vs Combat reflexes vs Spell resistance

im playing on gold at the minute and am looking to complete that in the future and move onto platinum and niob.

my final skill choice is coming up and im stuck as to what to choose.

iv got a solid melee inquisitor and I take a fair beating but I dish out a hell of alot more damage than I take.

So which skill would you suggest for someone looking to monster through difficulty's?

Toughness, Combat reflexes or Spell resistance?

Apologies if there has been threads about this, iv searched and even googled but to no avail.

Thanks!

im playing on gold at the minute and am looking to complete that in the future and move onto platinum and niob.

iv got a solid melee inquisitor and I take a fair beating but I dish out a hell of alot more damage than I take.

So which skill would you suggest for someone looking to monster through difficulty's?

Apologies if there has been threads about this, iv searched and even googled but to no avail.

Thanks!

Hey there Boom, if your on console don't even think about Spell Resist as the spell casters pre-Ice and Blood were wimpy. So now our choices are between Toughness and Combat Reflexes. I don't like avoidance all that much because you if a monster crit gets through you might be finished. Toughness mitigates a percent of damage (invaluable in the higher difficulties) and adds some basic armor to all types. The thing with Toughness is that you need to invest a lot of points or boost it with alot of gear to make it work well. Imo I'd take Toughness, but if you can't add points to it, then go with Combat Reflexes :bounce:

Thanks!

Hey there Boom, if your on console don't even think about Spell Resist as the spell casters pre-Ice and Blood were wimpy. So now our choices are between Toughness and Combat Reflexes. I don't like avoidance all that much because you if a monster crit gets through you might be finished. Toughness mitigates a percent of damage (invaluable in the higher difficulties) and adds some basic armor to all types. The thing with Toughness is that you need to invest a lot of points or boost it with alot of gear to make it work well. Imo I'd take Toughness, but if you can't add points to it, then go with Combat Reflexes :bounce:

Exactly what I needed to hear!

Thank you very much

As a side note, I do not think Spell Resistance even works on the console.... but it's REALLY hard to tell... testing could be done in PvP if anyone wants to know for sure...

Personally I would take spell resistance, that little ring of stars and black cloud around your head affects your chance to hit the target. Then there is the stun affects and rooting on the spot to deal with. What I don't understand is how you don't have Combat Reflexes or Toughness already. Did you not select five defensive skills?

Edited by gasbomb129
Personallu I would take spell resistance, that little ring of stars and black cloud around your head affects your chance to hit the target. Then there is the stun affects and rooting on the spot to deal with. What I don't understand is how you don't have Combat Reflexes or Toughness already. Did you not select five defensive skills?

Your supposed to pick 5 defensive skills? :bounce: Lol, I'm sure he's running a multi-aspect build that requires lots of lores and focuses, so he doesn't have a whole boatload of defensive. And as both me and essjayehm have said, Spell Resistance on consoles is whacky and Spell Casters pre-Ice and Blood couldn't really hit for much. He posted in the console section so I assume Boom is playing on console :D It is in his best interest to take a skill that has known benefits, and one that can't be pump up by equipment very well. As he is playing an inquisitor, who doesn't have piles of damage mitigation gear to choose from, picking something that complements his lack of DM is one of the better choices. The weaken affect that you are talking about above only lasts for 10 seconds, and rooting/stun can be annoying but things like Frenetic Fervor can help break/resist them.

It is always the question if you do Fortuna or Murphy defense.

Fortuna defense:

You are blessed by Fortuna and 99% chance to block attacks is as good as 100% in your opinion. You take reflexes and shield lore, spell resistance and all the other stuff which will allow you to avoid attacks.

Murphy defense:

You know that you are cursed, a black cat crossed from left while you passed a ladder leaning on a wall and you managed to break the mirror in the bath. You know that a 1% chance to be hit from your opponent is in reality a 100% chance. There will be a time that you will be hit 100 times in a row, even if it is only a 1% chance. So why waste skills for blocking, reflecting or defense, they can't give you 100% and the 1% they won't cover will always happen to only you. the unluckiest guy in the universe. You know that you need toughness, constitution and armour to reduce the damage you will receive.

Hardcore players will rather do Murphy, optimists rather do Fortuna and hope they will kill the opponent before it kills them. So the optimum is somewhere in the mid of these extrema.

Melee elves can do quite well with just shield lore, armour and constitution. Expulse Magic giving protection against spells and fire skin against weapon attacks.

Not knowing your character, ....

Toughness, Combat reflexes or Spell resistance? --- Toughness, works on spells and weapon attacks